UKC

West Wall Traverse Scafell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sunny 04 Jun 2012
Hi

I've not done this for a few years & following the rock fall & ongoing erosion in Lords Rake I wondered what access to the WWT from the Rake & the actual WWT were like now?

BTW I'm aware of perched tower on Rake & advice to take care etc but know that Rake is still being used & so just wondered about its condition & that of WWT. Did the Scafells recently via the Foxes Tarn path which wasn't great & would have really preferred to have done it via Lords Rake & WWT but wasn't sure of conditions.

Would appreciate any up to date info
 Jack 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Sunny: Went up lords rake yesterday. The perched block is still perched. The rake itself seemed the same as the last time I was up a few years ago. Didn't do the w wall traverse so can't help you there.

Jack.
 BigHell 04 Jun 2012
OP Sunny 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Sunny:

Hi

Thank you for the responses.

I realise the potential seriousness of the situation but because I've seen for myself that LR is still in use I'm interested to have some up to date info.

A (climbing) friend who went up LR a while ago said that the perched block seemed stable although only perched by a couple of inches & he didn't do WWT so no info re that.

The latest info I can find on Wasdale Web is as per this link - http://www.wasdaleweb.co.uk/news.html

Have heard of people going up the WWT recently but finding it more difficult to access the Traverse from the Rake 'cos of erosion plus route finding more difficult on WWT as climbers' path is obvious & walkers' path less so (? due to lack of use . . .) but this info is very third hand so difficult to determine the exact situation.

I'm not keen to take a major risk on this but LR & WWT was/?is such a good way up Scafell for non climbers & so would be interested to give it a go if it seemed ok whilst recognising the risk of the perched boulder.

Cheers

S
 ablackett 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Sunny: I went up Lords Rake and WWT today, I have no idea how loose the boulders are in the rake. I hated being in there, perhaps it was because I was last of a group of 4, but even being careful there was a lot of loose stuff coming down. West Wall Traverse was fine, bit of a scramble just before the perched boulders but then no problems.

Are you doing a Bob Graham? If not, then enjoy the walk down to the outflow of Foxes tarn, if you are and you don't like Lords Rake then you could try the climbers traverse into Foxes Tarn, it is my preferred route. Turn left at Mickeldore, drop about 50m until you can gain the East wall by a grassy ramp, then follow your nose on a rising traverse line. Pick your way up some rock steps, which is on good rough rock so ok in the wet and then pop out about 30-50m above foxes tarn on the path leading up to the summit. Lovely route - not much hight drop and no danger of stuff falling on your head!
OP Sunny 05 Jun 2012
In reply to ablackett:

Hi

Thanks for info re the climbers traverse into Foxes Tarn - I didn't know about that. I'm not doing the BG but am still interested in this route as an alternative way up Scafell - does it work as a descent route as well?

Is it straightforward for walkers with some scrambling ability?

I don't mind LR per se . . just wondered how it & the WWT were now so your reply (as well as others) is helpful re that too - thanks!

Cheers

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...