UKC

Guidebooks for (northern) Sweden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Peacock 14 Jun 2017
I've just moved to Sweden and was hoping for some inspiration for summer plans. However, English guidebooks seem few and far between. I've found some for the Kungsleden and the One Day Walks guides which mainly cover the south. Surprisingly Cicerone don't seem to have any. Ideally ones for places like Jämtland and Sarek would be great, but I'm currently struggling.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
 TobyA 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Loads of trip reports and guides to certain walks on blogs and the like. I presume you've done a good google though...?
 Doug 14 Jun 2017

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

learn Swedish ?
OP Mike Peacock 14 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks Toby, I've found reports on line but I do like the pleasure of a good guidebook. Perhaps the demand isn't there.
 TobyA 14 Jun 2017

You mean a guidebooks to walks? I imagine beyond the Kungsleden there's unlikely to be much in English. If you live in Sweden I guess you must have Swedish speaking friends or family who might be able to help you with any Swedish books available. I've used Swedish language rock climbing guidebooks and it is hard if you no next to no Swedish - my wife who says she doesn't "really speak Swedish" got very annoyed having to translate the the Bohuslan guide for me - she does speak OK if rusty Swedish but climbing guide jargon I guess is specific!

If you want an ice climbing guide to Northern Sweden and over into Norway, in English, you can download the pdf version still from here: http://kiwiclimber.se/iceclimbing/
 OwenM 14 Jun 2017

There's a Claes Grundsten guide to Sarek available in Swedish and German but not English. He also wrote the Kungsleden guide which is available in English.
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, I was thinking suggested routes would have been useful. A friend has already passed me a stack of books in Swedish, so I guess they'll have to do alongside some maps. I've only been here a week so my Swedish is pretty limited so far (and by limited I mean "hej hej" and "tack"). Thanks for the advice, I'm looking forward to getting north and seeing what's there.
In reply to OwenM:

Cheers, the Kungsleden guide is one of the ones I found. Shame the Sarek one isn't in English as that would be ideal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...