UKC

Pen-y-ghent cafe, Horton in Ribblesdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 08 Oct 2018

I am given to understand the the Pen-y-ghent café in Horton in Ribblesdale may be closed until further notice.

For something that is and has been something of an institution in the area's walking history, this is in itself quite sad, but any readers who know the family background to the café may be able to draw their own conclusions.

I am posting this not as a statement of fact but to advise readers to check their arrangements if they are relying on something that they were expecting at the café and to have a backup plan in place.

Sputnick 08 Oct 2018
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I hope this is not true. Went there this August, the owner was great, got us a cuppa even though they were closing. I was suprised the 3 peaks clock was`nt working, also he said the cafe would be open at 9am but at 9.40 was still closed. Surly the demand is massive,

DaveHK 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Sputnick:

> I hope this is not true. Surly the demand is massive

I think it's due to illness rather than some other decision.

Neil Williams 08 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

If you Google it there is confirmation.

gravy 08 Oct 2018
In reply to marsbar:

I heard that the folk in Horton are so ****** off with the volume of 3 peaks challenge business they are considering closing Horton completely - apparently >3000 one day this summer. Similar situation to the Wasdale Head / National 3 Peaks  problem reported here a couple of weeks ago.

Shame about the cafe though, nice folk

HardenClimber 08 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes it is due to illness (2 family members).

Dauphin 08 Oct 2018

Superb breakfast in there.

D

Mick r 08 Oct 2018
In reply to gravy:

I reckon it was around 3000 an hour when I did it in May.  certainly didn't need a map

Chris the Tall 08 Oct 2018

No idea if the cafe has changed hands since then, but the owners were extremely hospitable to me 34 years ago. I had completed the 3 peaks, but was waiting for my parents to finish it. They kept the cafe open and kept me topped up with tea until 2 in the morning, when my parents, who had got lost in the dark, found their way down to a farmhouse in Austwick. 

Lovely people, hope they can overcome whatever crisis they are facing.

Neil Williams 09 Oct 2018
In reply to gravy:

How on earth do they propose to do that?

In reply to gravy:

> I heard that the folk in Horton are so ****** off with the volume of 3 peaks challenge business they are considering closing Horton completely - apparently >3000 one day this summer. Similar situation to the Wasdale Head / National 3 Peaks  problem reported here a couple of weeks ago.

See for example:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/16905063.investigation-launched...

> Shame about the cafe though, nice folk

+1

In reply to HardenClimber:

> Yes it is due to illness (2 family members).

That's about the size of it.

marsbar 09 Oct 2018

Sorry to hear that, it's been a while since I was there but I remember the people being lovely. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...