UKC

recommend a walk in Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 03 Jan 2013
That is reasonably flat but goes passed great views / between the mountains. a bit off the beaten track would be nice as looking for quiet and peaceful but good views of the mountains.
Route needs to be flat as one lady coming along is pregnant.

Cheers,

AT
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

You could do a lot worse than a stroll up Eskdale as far as the packhorse bridge.
 Chris Harris 03 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Ennerdale maybe?
OP AdCo82 03 Jan 2013
oh and forgot to add still wanting a full day walk in length.

Thanks for suggestions. Reasons why they're nice walks would be nice so
 Nutkey 03 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
> oh and forgot to add still wanting a full day walk in length.
I confess to slight surprise that a pregnant woman a) can't go up hills, but b) wants a full day's walk in the Lakes! My (limited) experience so far has been the opposite...

OP AdCo82 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Nutkey:

well everyone is different!
In reply to An Triubhas:

Ferry from Glenridding to Pooley Bridge. Then south along tracks and a little bit of road to Howtown; from there to Patterdale it's all paths.

Or get off at Howtown and do just the lower bit.

Depending on the time of year many of the campsites have small shop/cafes for refreshments and toilets.

The ferry bit is a nice start.

peas65 03 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Walk around the side of ullswater underneath place fell, ferry back

Walk up to Kentmere reservoir, can either be from Stevely or Kentmere church or anywhere in between depending on required length, generally pretty quiet

Walk around little langdale, hodge close, elterwater etc, small hills but great views but definatly on the beaten track

Walking up Langstrathe at the bottom of Borrowdale following the cumbria way is really nice and often deserted, you would have to go out and back the same way though unless you like river crossings?

Hope this helps a little
Paul F 03 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
One I can recommend that gives a big hill feel with great views that is easily accessible, and has been done by a pregnant friend -

Start point. Grasmere heading SW out of the village towards St Oswalds,
Gentle climb to skirt Silver How and follow the blunt ridge SE towards High Close.
Short road section heading down NE to pick up the Loughrigg Terrace path.
Round Rydal Water to emerge at Glen Rothay Hotel (Badger Bar for a swift one)
North Up Keena Close picking up the footpath West though Nab wood and High Wood back to Grasmere centre for tea, medals and gingerbread.
The route is easy going and there are lots of escape routes to make it shorter if required.
 didntcomelast 03 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Have a look at David Hall's website - walkthefells.net - this chap walks almost daily and takes so many photo's of the walks he is a mine of info re the suitability of a walk. I use the site when organising walks for work colleagues, depending on their levels of fitness. I also use it to show them what they can expect.

One of my favourites though it may be a bit long for a pregnant lady, is the coffin route from Rydal to Grasmere and back via the lake and Loughrigg Terrace.
In reply to An Triubhas: Walk round Buttermere. Too short? Walk round Crummock Water as well.

T.
OP AdCo82 09 Jan 2013
are the views from the Ennerdale shoreline path good all the way round or is the north shore in the forest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...