/ Sales and marketing?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
andrew ogilvie - on 13 Mar 2019

I know this may seem an unusually miserable or mean spirited post and I should point out that I'm delighted that a cute wee dog has been rescued from the Cairngorms and that I've started a new post deliberately so as not to cast any gloom on that achievement and people's happiness...( you can see it coming can't you?) but ...

Is it only me who finds it slightly jarring that this (privatised?) service has managed to secure charming video of this rescue but declines to participate in recovery of bodies after the acute stage of a rescue or to lift MRT members from the hill as a default? 

andrew ogilvie - on 13 Mar 2019
Rich W Parker - on 09:23 Thu
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Maybe the dog, as it was alive, was covered in the SAR contract?? I don't know, this must be one for Jim Fraser.

dh73 - on 09:32 Thu

I agree with your general sentiment Andrew but the comments below the article in Grough about prioritisation do seem to hold water

also - in the case of the dog, it seems that the helicopter was in the area anyway on training - and presumably this represented an ideal "live" training opportunity. the situation would be different I think if the helicopter had been mobilised specifically for a dog - but I don't think that is what happened here?

rj_townsend on 09:36 Thu

Am I alone in being confused by the "Sales and Marketing" title to this post?

Run_Ross_Run - on 12:55 Thu

I hope the dog owners will be making a sizeable donation to mountain rescue as a result!!! 

andrew ogilvie - on 18:32 Thu
In reply to rj_townsend:

Sales and marketing because I wondered if the dog rescue had been filmed and disseminated consciously to display this service in a favourable light without acknowledging the controversial aspects of their provision.

mrphilipoldham - on 18:57 Thu

I suspect all operational manoeuvres are recorded, I doubt they decided to hit record just because it was deemed to be a useful a PR charm offensive. As for rescuing it, the helicopter was in the area on other exercises and the ideal opportunity for some 'live' training presented itself. It's no different to firemen rescuing horses from holes etc.. people may scoff, but the life experience is much greater than anything a set up training exercise can offer.

andrew ogilvie - on 18:59 Thu
In reply to dh73:

Thank you. I suppose these are hugely nuanced contexts. It just seemed to be self consciously pushing precisely the kind of opiate (as in Marx's "opium of the people") that the 21st century seems so susceptible to .

andrew ogilvie - on 19:03 Thu

Thanks everyone for the replies. I suspect I may indeed have been projecting gloom and paranoia onto a genuinely good news story after a hard day.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.