UKC

Lost Axes: Raeburns, Creag Meagaidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SDee 23 Feb 2024

My climbing partner survived a spectacular fall from just above the blue icicle in Raeburn's Gully yesterday, losing a Petzl Sum'Tec (silver shaft, black pick, trigger rest) axe and a Mountain Technology Glencoe vertige hammer (shaft taped in red, black grip) in the first few meters of his fall.

Would really appreciate these being returned and will buy significant whisky/wine/pints for whoever finds them. Thanks. 

Post edited at 16:30
 Tom the tall 23 Feb 2024
In reply to SDee: all the very best to your partner, must have been terrifying! I'm guessing this might be the case reported in the SAIS blog? https://meagaidhblog.sais.gov.uk/2024/02/winter-returns-with-a-bite/

OP SDee 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Tom the tall:

Thanks Tom. He's doing okay. We were both shaken up and I still feel a bit weird now, I thought he was a gonner for sure. It was so fast, I will never be able to accurately describe how fast it happened, not more than 5 seconds and he was gone. Had to proceed alone out of the climb top and over the summit for around 90 minutes to get back down, loneliest time of my whole life. 

OP SDee 04 Mar 2024
In reply to SDee:

Bumping this in case anyone has been up around there this weekend. 

ebdon 04 Mar 2024
In reply to SDee:

Allthough I didn't climb Reaburns  I was in the corrie on Friday. A lot of fresh snow has fallen and drifted in the gullies in the last week, I suspect the axes might be well buried until the next big thaw unfortunately. 

OP SDee 05 Mar 2024
In reply to SDee:

Perhaps they will emerge like daffodils and swallows in the springtime haha!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...