UKC

Amazons dishonesty and conning tactics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I just tried to buy a copy of 

"PEAK DISTRICT MOUNTAIN BIKING" - Dark Peak Trails after it was recommended on the forums.

Fu*king amazon have signed me up for Prime without my knowledge.   I specifically did not want this so didn't complete the order, but it still says I'm joined up.

This is absolutely diabolical ,  I tried to make sure I asked for the normal delivery but they have obviously organised the page to mislead people into signing up.

I'm furious and this now creates a job for me to do over the summer , namely remember to cancel the prime before they start stealing from me . 

I was just starting to feel a lot better today now these w@nkers are threatening to derail my improvement by basically lying to me and trying to rip me off.

I'm just going to stop using them from now on  and trying to find a email to contact them  and tell them they have lost a customer.

Jesus  

Ahhhhhhhh 

Deep breaths .

TWS

webbo 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

you can cancel it straight away, you don’t have to wait until the trial period is up.

MG 05 Jul 2018

Don't use Amazon.  Support a decent company instead.

J1234 05 Jul 2018

You want to learn to chill. Just login to amazon>go to prime> cancel subscription,

then buy a book on relaxation or meditation or anger mangement, as you have prime it will be there tomoz and you can start reading. I would reccomend The Power of Now.

Post edited at 09:57
 jezb1 05 Jul 2018

I made a mistake and signed up to prime once. Two years later I noticed and contacted them, they refunded the two years worth of membership.

In reply to webbo:

> you can cancel it straight away, you don’t have to wait until the trial period is up.

It wont let me yet.

In reply to J1234:

> You want to learn to chill.

You want to learn to be less patronising .

It's a sh*tty way to get people to sign up but Prime is actually a hell of a good deal: it can pay for itself on the free one-day delivery or on the video streaming which is as good as Netflix and you get both plus a reasonable free audio streaming service, some free Kindle books and some (admittedly not particularly good) photo storage.  It's worth trying it out while you have your free subscription, you might like it.

Post edited at 10:11
In reply to MG:

> Don't use Amazon.  Support a decent company instead.

I won't anymore .  They have just made an enemy of a good customer.

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> It's a sh*tty way to get people to sign up but Prime is actually a hell of a good deal: it can pay for itself on the free one-day delivery or on the video streaming which is as good as Netflix and you get both plus a reasonable free audio streaming service, some free Kindle books and some (admittedly not particularly good) photo storage.  It's worth trying it out while you have your free subscription, you might like it.

I won't use it , I don't stream music, don't have a fire stick,   don't do film rentals.  I only occasionally order from them for myself , parents etc.

It's the bloody way they have modified the web page to give 2 options for delivery with both options signing you up to prime. There was no other way to proceed to delivery where they tell you you have just signed up.

I hope Jeff's Blue Origin blows up with him in it.

> It wont let me yet.

Yes it will. Last time I signed up top a trial with Prime I cancelled within a minute but still got the month's trial. Another thing why are you bothered about keeping it for the month if you didn't want it in the first place.

J1234 05 Jul 2018

> I won't anymore .  They have just made an enemy of a good customer.

"an enemy", maybe you are taking this all a bit to much to heart. Mind is that why the stock price is down 1.16% on the day   PMSL

Post edited at 10:26
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018

Give em a call and cancel it. In my experience, shitty tax-dodging bastards that they are, their customer service has always been excellent with me.

Jim 1003 05 Jul 2018

Having just done an Amazon order, it's a simple matter to avoid Amazon Prime, and easy to cancel.....

LastBoyScout 05 Jul 2018

I somehow managed to get signed up to Prime, despite explicitly attempting to avoid doing so - had been let down by another supplier for something and Amazon was about the only other company that had it in stock.

Immediately complained to Amazon - got the subscription cancelled.

If I need to use Prime for anything, I just get my sister to order it for me

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Give em a call and cancel it. In my experience, shitty tax-dodging bastards that they are, their customer service has always been excellent with me.

I will as soon as it will let me .  I've still had no prime welcome email,  just a page saying it will be activate soon . 

So I'm in a limbo state presently.  

For something I haven't ordered or completed an order for I'm faced with messing about for a few hours trying to now fix the situation .  

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018

Honestly, they've been very quick in dealing with things for me in the past. Get on with other stuff, wait til you get an email and then give em a call. And tell them to pay their taxes when you do.

> Honestly, they've been very quick in dealing with things for me in the past. Get on with other stuff, wait til you get an email and then give em a call.

I will

And tell them to pay their taxes when you do.

I like that

And thanks for being understanding of my frustration rather than patronising me and making out I should not be angered about being mislead .

Anger is appropriate at being lied to and mislead ,   where as suggestions of chill out and read a book on anger management is not helpful. 

Post edited at 11:40
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018

When something annoys you, it annoys you. I only ever tell my missus to calm down if I really fancy a fight.

Philip 05 Jul 2018

You can cancel straight away, but if you get a month trial, you still keep the prime benefit for the month.

I can't see how you can criticise Amazon. They don't enrol you in secret, you missed a button, and the only consequence is you get free delivery for a month. Hardly worth complaining.

Larefia 05 Jul 2018

You were not mislead or lied too. You signed up for it due to your failure to interpret the instructions.

Most people can order from amazon without signing up to prime easily. That you are now "faced with messing about for a few hours" is your fault and complaining on UKC and expecting support for your self righteous indignation will not fix the issue rather it may serve as a surrogate to anger management which you appear to need? Perhaps the time on UKC would be better spent resolving the problems?

In reply to Philip:

> You can cancel straight away, but if you get a month trial, you still keep the prime benefit for the month.

It wont cancel,  it just says pending activation. 

> I can't see how you can criticise Amazon. They don't enrol you in secret, you missed a button, and the only consequence is you get free delivery for a month. Hardly worth complaining.

Not to you. No

J1234 05 Jul 2018

>

> Anger is appropriate at being lied to and mislead ,   where as suggestions of chill out and read a book on anger management is not helpful. 

Actually, its not. You chose how you react to a situation, you have chosen anger.
Anyway before you get even more angry, you may want to check that you have actually signed up to prime. IME, as soon as you sign up, you have an Amazon Prime area within your Amazon Account, from there as people keep telling you, you can cancel your Prime subscription, and still have a month for free.
I am thinking its possible you are going Ape Shit over nothing.

Philip 05 Jul 2018
In reply to J1234:

> I am thinking its possible you are going Ape Shit over nothing.

I think that's what most of us think. It is comical though.

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018

Mate, I would roundly ignore the other posters on this thread who don't have any positive advice to add. They aren't callous to your problems but merely ignorant. Stay above it.

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018
In reply to The Thread:

The OP has posted on here recently about seriously struggling with what life is throwing at them in general, so please understand this is just another straw for the camel's back and think about times that you yourself have perhaps taken something badly for reasons not entirely of the situation itself. In that light and with that information, may I suggest just saying nothing if you have nothing positive to add.

With respect,

Ned.

deepsoup 05 Jul 2018

> I was just starting to feel a lot better today now these w@nkers are threatening to derail my improvement by basically lying to me and trying to rip me off.

It does suck, but you are overreacting a wee bit.  Which is understandable really.

I found your use of the word 'derail' there interesting though, so with apologies if this seems patronising I thought it appropriate to mention that recovery from anything, physical or mental, does not run on rails.

Things can set you back, but with or without shit happening there are always likely to be bad days and good days.  A bad day is just that, a temporary set back only.  Though of course it doesn't feel particularly temporary at the time.

That other thread was in the pub and this one isn't so I'll say no more.

Chris_Mellor 05 Jul 2018

And very well said too.

deepsoup 05 Jul 2018

> The OP has posted on here recently about seriously struggling with what life is throwing at them in general..

It's worth bearing in mind though (for all of us, including WS himself) that that thread was in the Pub and this one isn't. 

While still far from private, the pub does offer the relative privacy of not being visible to people who aren't registered & logged in and of old threads being deleted rather than archived.  There will be people reading 'Off Belay' threads who either can't see the Pub or who have chosen to turn it off.

Larefia 05 Jul 2018

"With respect" unless anyone actively stalked the OP or had seen the post you mention they would have no idea about circumstance. 

In posting as the OP has, regardless of circumstance anyone's comments postive or otherwise will be responding to the thread title and content. 

To suggest ignorance of the OP's circumstance has a slightly different connotation.

deepsoup 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Larefia:

> To suggest ignorance of the OP's circumstance has a slightly different connotation.

I think you're reading that connotation into it yourself.  I know the word "ignorant" can sometimes carry the negative connotations of an implied criticism, but nevertheless I would say that "having no idea about x" and "being ignorant of x" mean precisely the same thing.

Regardless of that though, MonkeyPuzzle's suggestion of "just saying nothing if you have nothing positive to add" is not a bad idea. 

The erm..  forthright nature of discussion here can be refreshing, but nevertheless, UKC would probably be even better with a little more of this.  I know I could do better at it.

two_tapirs 05 Jul 2018

to all those who have leapt in with criticism of the way the OP reacted to this.  Go back and find this line in their post:

"I was just starting to feel a lot better today now these w@nkers are threatening to derail my improvement "

If you have stress, depression, or just having a really crappy day, an experience like the one the OP had can be the difference between brushing it off, or feeling as if things just got a whole lot bleaker.  

I appreciate that these days UKC is full of keyboard heroes all queuing up to sound off, but really, this isn't the post to do it on.

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Larefia:

> "With respect" unless anyone actively stalked the OP or had seen the post you mention they would have no idea about circumstance. 

Which is why I brought your attention to it.

> In posting as the OP has, regardless of circumstance anyone's comments postive or otherwise will be responding to the thread title and content. 

> To suggest ignorance of the OP's circumstance has a slightly different connotation.

Perhaps "ignorant" wasn't the most judicious word I could have picked, but it's not incorrect.

Reading your original reply back though, I'm surprised to see that you're so sensitive all of a sudden. Your sneering condescension would be uncalled for whatever the circumstances. 

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Exactly my point. Thank you.

J1234 05 Jul 2018

>  Your sneering condescension would be uncalled for whatever the circumstances. 

Thats a bit nasty.

People cannot go tip toeing around the world just incase someone is having an off day.

Many of us on UKC know only to well about mental issues, and there is much advice given. However one of the beauties of the Climbing Community is the take the piss attitude, dark humour and the like.
If people venture onto this or any forum they better be prepared for what they get.

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018
In reply to J1234:

> >  Your sneering condescension would be uncalled for whatever the circumstances. 

> Thats a bit nasty.

Which bit do you disagree with?

> People cannot go tip toeing around the world just incase someone is having an off day.

But after being told so?

> Many of us on UKC know only to well about mental issues, and there is much advice given. However one of the beauties of the Climbing Community is the take the piss attitude, dark humour and the like.

How about just being horrible?

> If people venture onto this or any forum they better be prepared for what they get.

You're all heart.

Larefia 05 Jul 2018

Ok I'll bite.

First some semantics;

I never said "ignorant" was incorrect rather it had differing connotations and for me that implied a negative one as observed by Deepsoup.

Second thanks for bringing WS's plight to light perhaps the;

"I was just starting to feel a lot better today now these w@nkers are threatening to derail my improvement " should have more deeply read into but I don't follow the OP so no idea on their state of mind.

Finally;

Thanks you for your somewhat trite observation on my sensitivity I do not consider that pointing out someones inabilty to navigate Amazon and then whinge about it on UKC to be sneering or condescending in this day and age most people can do this.

Given the circumstances you have so kindly brought to the threads attention I accept that it was not the most helpful responses but not that it would be uncalled for whatever the circumstances.

I remain firmly of the view if you post in here then you can expect to get responses you do not like or agree with.

Post edited at 15:24
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Larefia:

> I remain firmly of the view if you post in here then you can expect to get responses you do not like or agree with.

I think we can definitely agree on that.

Carless 05 Jul 2018

Hey TWS - yes, life is full of irritations. But they're not aimed at you specifically: they're aimed at everybody

Next time, read the small print & consequences before pressing yes

Cheers

Carless

Glad to see that you're grumbling TWS.  Things are on the mend...

T.

PM 06 Jul 2018

Just to try to nudge your "what currently it feels this very cruel and unjust world has done to me" closer to some sort of more realistic, and less apocalyptic what-probably-actually-happened:

> Fu*king amazon have signed me up for Prime without my knowledge.   I specifically did not want this so didn't complete the order, but it still says I'm joined up.

It seems to me that one of three things has actually happened here:

1. You (not them) have inadvertently signed up for Prime. This is easy-done. As you say, the check-out forms are very much designed to make that the biggest button and it seems like the obvious 'Yes, I want to check out' option, but it's actually the 'Yes, I want to check out and have a Prime trial', and there's another, smaller 'I don't want Prime right now' option. If you have signed up for it, it should be – as others have said – quite easy to see the option where you can cancel it well before the trial period ends.
  2.  You have almost signed up for Prime, and misinterpreted some kind of 'You have almost nearly got Prime with the order you've almost completed! Please please just click these other few links so we have our hooks in you' e-mail as being signed up for it for the foreseeable future. As other people said, signing up for Prime is a pretty much instant-on thing, so it's odd that you can't seem to see your Prime-ness, and this suggests that you've maybe not signed up for it. Again, if have signed up for it, it should be quite easy to see the option where you can cancel. I'm not totally sure how it works, but you may have clicked on a 'Yes, use Prime delivery and the free trial thing', button at some point along check-out, but not actually fully checked out, which may mean the Prime trial is not active, but that you've got some kind of 'Almost there' e-mail. One way to find out would to be to try to buy the book again, and see if you get the 'Yes! Sign me up for the Prime trial!' button again.
  3. Around the time of check-out you possibly coincidentally received a quite common spam e-mail saying 'You've signed up for Prime, your bill eventually will be £179'. I get quite a few of these, and if they're anywhere near when I've ordered something from Amazon, my instant reaction is almost identical to yours: I didn't sign up for this… Those lying, cheating, swindling Amazon pric...! …before realising that it's just an opportunistic spam, and not actually from Amazon at all. The plan of the scammers who send that e-mail (who are, of course, unrelated to Amazon) is to get you to panic and get angry (check!) click on their fake Amazon link, give them your real Amazon login details, that they then use for things which it is really worth getting upset about.

> This is absolutely diabolical ,  I tried to make sure I asked for the normal delivery but they have obviously organised the page to mislead people into signing up.

Yes, they have deliberately organised the page to try to get as many people to sign up for the trial. It's pretty sneaky.

> I'm furious and this now creates a job for me to do over the summer , namely remember to cancel the prime before they start stealing from me . 

As lots of other people said, you can cancel anytime you want well well before the trial is over. It's not a long or complicated process. If you have indeed signed up for the trial by mistake, the 'best' thing you could do to get your pound of flesh from them is to use Amazon as much as you want during the trial, then cancel in good time, before it costs you anything extra, thus it costs them, for no great benefit (from their point-of-view), provided you don't buy anything that you weren't going to buy from them already. If it is indeed now a 'job for you to do over the summer', it's ultimately probably a good thing, as it's a painless and straightforward job to do, and if all your summer jobs were as quick and easy as this one, then it'd be a very enjoyable mostly-holiday.

> I was just starting to feel a lot better today now these are threatening to derail my improvement by basically lying to me and trying to rip me off.

Glad to hear that you were starting to feel better. I understand how something like this, coming unexpectedly, can present a disproportionately large problem in relation to the actual realities. This is not always the best or most caring and understanding forum to vent about things. It can be very helpful, but can also, I'm sure you're aware, often (somehow, with the best intentions!) quite cruel and counterproductive if you're already feeling a bit delicate.

> I'm just going to stop using them from now on  and trying to find a email to contact them  and tell them they have lost a customer.

The first bit, just stopping using them for a bit, sounds like a great idea, as it sounds from what you've said so far that it might be quite annoying at the moment if you had to deal with them again.

Writing them an e-mail might make you feel better, but you may not even have to send it to get that effect. Sending it is unlikely to have any effect on Amazon whatsoever, or – worst case – land on the desk of someone who's having as difficult a summer as you have, but has the added difficulty of being stuck working for customer services at Amazon, and has zero power to change any of the things which have (quite rightly I think) annoyed you.

Hopefully, somehow, by Amazon or not, you might be able to find some way to end up with the Peak District mountain biking book in your hands, and eventually manage some mountain biking! That'll be fun, and I'm sure Amazon Prime will be far from your mind while you're doing it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...