UKC

Android tablet - which to get...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 15 Aug 2012
I would like to get an android tablet - hate apple so don't go there. What I want from it is:

1/ the ability to play tunes and have sufficient memory not to get too bored.
2/ the ability to download photo's off my camera (canon g7) to review and edit with the photoshop app.
3/ use an offline navigation GPS app, so that when I drive across europe I will be able to use it without having to rely on downloaded google maps.

Not desperately bothered about 3g, but obviously wireless. Not bothered about a camera of any quality. Would like to be able to use it for reviewing engineering drawings using the AutoCAD app, and also PDF (which I'm guessing is totally trivial) but graphics need to be sufficient to do so. Would love to be able to use the new ubuntu OS in parallel, but not bothered if it can't.

So - suggestions on the back of a postcard please... oh and it would be great if it wasn't too flimsy...
 FreshSlate 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann:

Either asus transformer

or google nexus 7.

7inch versus 10 inch.

Best value/really good specs = google nexus 7

Larger screen + attachable keyboard that also extends already good battery life = Asus Transformer

The transformer has good memory and micro SD/SD (easy to put card in from cam but is doable only slightly less easily on nexus.)

Research these yourself a little and you'll have a winner. These are the best on the market atm IMHO and my brother who works with tablets alot.
 mikekeswick 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann: Scottish?? Awfy sugary tho...
 The Lemming 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann:

The only tablets that can give Apple a run for its money, and in my opinion exceed the iPads, are made by ASUS.

Personally I'd avoid the Transformer Prime TF200 because I had one for about two weeks before the screen developed a hairline crack right along it. Found out that this is a design fault that is popping up all over the world.

I took it back and got a Transformer Pad TF300T which I have nw had for almost 5 months and love it.

It can

Connect to a TV with HDMI
Full size SD card slot
Micro SD card slot
Full size USB slot which for me powers wireless mouse and External hard drives
Removable full size keyboard, with internal battery in it.
Excellent processor and graphics for gaming and movies

I mostly connect mine to the TV and stream movies from my NAS box.

ASUS are bringing more products out, and there are other Android Tablets out there but if you want the best of Android options then ignore all the other manufacturers at the moment.
OP beardy mike 15 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Cheers guys - I was very interested by the Transfomer series - seems like the best of both worlds... handled one at (don't tell anyone I went there) pcwORLD (arrrrrrrggggh) and it seems like it's the business. Had also picked up on the Nexus as it seems ridiculously cheap. BUT on the downside, the battery life isn't that great, youcan't expand the internal storage and the screen might be a touch small?

Do you guys use your tablets as a GPS? Really need to find a decent app like Tomtom (i.e.e offline maps) but obviously they don't do it yet as I'll be travelling across europe with it, so it'll be my in car entertainment system for 3 weeks, as well as my dump for photos etc...
 The Lemming 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann:

I got my Asus Pad from PC World too.

As for GPS, google do this but it needs internet access. Works well too.

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/mobile/navigation/

As for Mapping, I use my OS maps from Memory Maps and an app called MM Tracker. You can't get this app on Google.play any more so you will have to get it from Android.Market.
In reply to mike kann:

I am waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which is being released in the UK tomorrow. Sounds way over spec for your usage but the Stylus pen is apparently fantastic for photo editing and general creativity. I can't wait to get my hands on one!
 Route Adjuster 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann:

I have just taken delivery of a 10" 64GB Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. Like the Asus transformer you can connect Keyboard and mouse using a full size USB slot, it also has HDMI output to connect to TV and it has a stylus and can be used as a pen and paper notebook too.

Not as elegant looking as the iPad, Samsungs or the Tranformer models but it has the build quality of the Thinkpad range.

Before this was using a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus (7"). The Lenovo is so much better in every way, it is also cheaper than the Transfomer.

In reply to Route Adjuster:

As an aside: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267140 - Adobe are pulling the Flash player from the Google play store following their decision to stop development of the plug-in for mobile devices.

As for Android tablets - I'd consider the Nexus 7 if I didn't already have the fruity one.

ALC
 FreshSlate 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann: The thing with tablets these days, is that more and more are knocking off expandable memory and hardrive space isn't being prioritized at the moment because of the idea of cloud storage. Though I'd get the 16gb over the 8. Battery life on the nexus is fine 10 hours usage, same as Ipad I believe. It's a beast and loaded with jelly bean. Just adding some balance. But perhaps if you are doing a lot of work stuff and some of the criteria you mentioned go tranformer. The infinity is the top of the range one now, but isn't quite out yet in the UK?
 iksander 15 Aug 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to Route Adjuster)
>
> As an aside: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267140 - Adobe are pulling the Flash player from the Google play store following their decision to stop development of the plug-in for mobile devices.

I thought Google were supporting Flash themselves in Chrome? Still crummy mind, flash being the scourge of the web 'n all
 Poco Loco 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann:

Just buy a 16gb nexus 7 and a large USB memory stick. Its incredibly good value! £200.
 iksander 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Poco Loco: Can you get memory sticks with a native micro USB connector? (not an adaptor)
 The Lemming 15 Aug 2012
In reply to iksander:

I've got a 2.5inch hard drive in a caddy with a mini USB connector. It then connects to a computer with a full size USB connector. Is that the sort of thing?

Never seen a USB pen with other than full size USB connection.
 iksander 15 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Ideally it would be low profile dongle, like a wireless keyboard without the faff of cables, adaptors etc. Plus it looks like you'd have to root it to use the micro-usb connection for storage. Not a deal breaker, but a pain as you can't always connect to a cloud or NAS at all or at least with decent bandwidth. Still damned tempting nevertheless
 Philip 15 Aug 2012
nothing beats a Motorola Xoom version 1. I've got mine running jellybean having first converted it to the Google version (us release) following Motorola's instructions.
In reply to mike kann: Right - now I'm in trouble - I've been looking into this in more detail - really like the Transformer suggested above. But then I got a message on my facebook saying that e-drawings which would be the ultimate tool for my work, has just been released for Ipad. I looked into it - and of course they have no plans for Android - ARGGGGGH. Why why why WHY. So now I'm wondering what an Ipad connects to windows like - if it's anything like my missus Iphone then I don't want to know - it's dreadful. But then it may be different? Also I've noticed various people claiming MS Win7 on Ipad... does this exist on android and if so does it mean I can natively run windows programmes? Ideally I'd like to be able to load up CAD models in e-drawings on my tablet, loaded and synced through Google drive. Am I asking too much, or am I just a year too early?
 David Ponting 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Poco Loco: Seconded! I've just got mine, and am muchly enjoying it. The OS has been sped up a lot from the older android versions, the screen is fine, though I'd like a bit more contrast sometimes (displaying pictures from climbing trips seem a bit dim). It probably isn't the independent-of-price best tablet around, but for £200 it's unbeatable!
 MJH 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann: You can't run W7 or its programmes natively on an Ipad as W7 wasn't built for ARM processors. I suspect they are talking about accessing a virtual machine running Windows eg using Onlive.

The Ipad and Iphone both use iOS and connect the same (though you no longer need to connect them to a PC at all).
In reply to MJH: Well I would - if I'm working on a project I'm frequently out of mobile range or in a tin shed where the reception is crap. So ideally I'd like to have my drawings stored locally so I can open them whatever. As I say - all I'd need would be a wireless connection so that when I go home I can sync the files through google drive. It's a shame about the windows though. Thought there might have been a solution... I guess I could sync the Ipad through google drive too... I'm presuming there is a drive for iOS? better go and have a look...
In reply to mike kann: Drive looks like it's crappy on iOS but Ubuntu One seems better... anyone got experience? Bit of a long shot I know...
craigloon 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann:

Dropbox works well for syncing files on both Windows and iOS. Free for up to 2GB. You'd need to check whether it supports the file type you are interested in, but more than likely it will. The beauty of Dropbox is that it will sync automatically when you are on a data network, but stores a copy locally. You just have to remember to shut one or other copy down before opening it up on the other machine, otherwise there will be a conflict.

In reply to mike kann:
> e-drawings which would be the ultimate tool for my work, has just been released for Ipad. I looked into it - and of course they have no plans for Android - ARGGGGGH. Why why why WHY.

Because the Android market is fragmented with multiple screen sizes, OSes and tweeks to the OS, whereas the iPad market is essentially one model with a variant that prefers higher resolution graphics.

Then you have the near complete monopoly of the tablet market by the iPad (c. 65%) allied with the security of the App Store and you can see why developers build for the iPad first then maybe, just maybe, look at an Android version.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, just that developers are going to go for the biggest market first.

ALC

jezb1 15 Aug 2012
In reply to mike kann: Damn this thread.... I've just ordered an asus transformer!
 iksander 16 Aug 2012
In reply to jezb1: Ditto! Just got me a Google Nexus
 The Lemming 16 Aug 2012
In reply to jezb1:
> (In reply to mike kann) Damn this thread.... I've just ordered an asus transformer!

Which version you go for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...