UKC

Blackcurrants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 13 Jul 2021

I feel UKC needs a foodie forum!

We have a ridiculous amount of blackcurrants this year. Thinking next year we should advertise as one of those "pick your own" farms! Lol

My go to with blackcurrants is jam. I have also found a recipe for blackcurrant and mint sorbet which I think I will try. Any other recipe suggestions for me?

wintertree 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Use them in a burger relish; goes great with venison burgers and goats cheese.  

MG 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Jealous!!

Look at creme de cassis recipies. Recommended!

Caralynh 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

We get massive harvests too. So far 2 tubs given to neighbours and loads for the freezer. Second harvest due tomorrow. I use them with apples (windfall or wild) in autumn pies and crumbles 

OP girlymonkey 13 Jul 2021
In reply to MG:

I should have mentioned, I don't drink! 

I presume creme de cassis is always alcoholic?

RobAJones 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> We have a ridiculous amount of blackcurrants this year.

For the first time in over 20 years we have hardly any? As. We'll as jam most of ours go in crumbles or a handful of frozen ones added to milk, yogurt and a banana in a smoothy. Looks like the slack in that role is going to be taken by the raspberries and strawberries this year. 

In reply to wintertree:

Oh, that sounds good! Do you have a recipe?

In reply to RobAJones:

I have frozen most for now but have kept some out for my breakfast smoothie 🙂

I picked the biggest wild strawberry I have ever seen in my garden today. It was about as big as the cultivated strawberries! Sadly have hadn't had many of our cultivated ones this year. Rasps look to be shaping up to be fairly good though.

wintertree 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I tend to improvise in the kitchen so no fixed recipe - but I tend to start with frying some small sliced peppers and onion in butter for a few minutes, then adding vinegar, rice wine vinegar, muscavado sugar (to taste), whatever red/black berries are to hand and some water, string to dissolving the sugar, boiling for.a moment and then simmering whilst I do the burgers etc.

Left field but if you're making a chilli with cocoa powder in it you might add some blackcurrants too.  I'll have to try the - we have 5 buses; I prefer to just eat most of our berries raw but I can't stand raw blackcurrants.

MG 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Alchohol is probably needed as a preservative.  You don't need to drink it as such though.  Put it on ice cream etc.in small amounts. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

Cheesecake, obvs

BusyLizzie 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have nowhere near enough blackcurrants (working on solutions to that as I have discovered how easy it is to grow new plants from cuttings). I'd be round with a big empty tub, but I think you're a long way away from me

Le Sapeur 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Any other recipe suggestions for me?

Crumble!

Rob Naylor 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Blackcurrant fool. 

I like just eating them straight from the bush. Most people seem to think they're too sour for that, but I don't see it myself.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

If your profile is correct, then yes, you are long way away! This is the 3rd year we have had the blackcurrants in and last year was a big crop, this year is huge. I do wonder if they will start to take over the garden sometime! Lol

In reply to Rob Naylor:

My husband takes one or two straight from the bush, I think after that they do get too sour for him. Definitely too sour for me!

wintertree 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> I like just eating them straight from the bush. Most people seem to think they're too sour for that, but I don't see it myself.

For me it’s not the sour - when in hotter climes I enjoy eating a lemon fresh of the tree, and devour raw sloes at home - it’s the aftertaste.  Like a damp and fusty coat one forgot to air.

ablackett 14 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Stew them with sugar and put some on your cereal every morning.

wercat 14 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Fool!

dread-i 14 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I planted a load last year to make an edible hedge. The various types are all named after Scottish mountains. I've got a range of varieties so they come in over a longer period, rather than a glut and then nothing.

We've made ribena, crumbles and pudding toppings. I'm hoping to be organised enough to make jam. I've still got to do the rhubarb chutney, I was planning. I may do rhubarb and blackcurrant chutney, instead. Blackcurrant vodka might be a good xmas gift.

jkarran 14 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> My go to with blackcurrants is jam. I have also found a recipe for blackcurrant and mint sorbet which I think I will try. Any other recipe suggestions for me?

I've heard they make lovely wine. That's where my glut is going this year if the toddler doesn't eat her way through them before I get my share.

jk

Philip 14 Jul 2021
 steveriley 14 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

You’ve reminded me to get picking. Much nicer than all that purple birdmuck everywhere that year I forgot 😁

Tony Buckley 14 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

A friend recommends blackcurrant cordial; like Ribena, but much better, she says. Worth looking for a recipe.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...