UKC

broadband/telephone issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 29 Apr 2021

Ive spent a few hours on the net now looking for solutions but to no avail. Simple problem is that the internet connection drops whenever the phone rings. Its a DECT phone at 1.9ghz and my wifi adapter is 2.4 so shouldn't be an issue? This is the only channel supported so cant try 5ghz nor do I want to change to a different one as Id lose range within the house.

Ive got an ADSL filter faceplate on the master socket, well only socket in the house and only one telephone.
Any help welcomed please.

In reply to The Potato:

Is it an exchange issue?

CurlyStevo 30 Apr 2021
In reply to The Potato:

you could try a new filter, they are super cheap.

Two other things I can think of are try manually changing the band your wifi uses instead of it being automatic, second one is order a different brand of dect phone online to see if it solves the issue, if it doesn’t send it back! I guess last resort is a new router. 

if your wifi router is freebie, buying a good one wouldn’t be a bad thing anyway, I recently tried a brand new bt smart hub and it wasn’t a patch on my 6+ year old tp link router I bought for 100 quid. 

Post edited at 06:56
 CurlyStevo 30 Apr 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I would think the filter is the likely culprit though, you could try a wired phone to see if that causes the issue too.

Toby_W 30 Apr 2021
In reply to The Potato: Check your own phone wiring as well.  The phone line will come into your house to an outlet and other wires may run from this to additional phone sockets.  This wiring can often slow down your internet and cause problems and is your responsibility.  The wire coming in and first socket is theirs.

You could try connecting straight to the first socket and further disconnect any additional ones.

Good luck and hope you sort it.

Toby

nniff 30 Apr 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Going off on a tangent a bit, I had issues with my internet yesterday again, or so I was informed by the lady on the phone from Microsoft.  I had a bit of time spare and so she guided me a fault log to show me the problem  and then to download a remote access ap on the net (mysteriously not Microsoft, but there you go).  I told her that McAfee had popped up and said 'ID 10T error'.  This confused her, so she tried again with a different remote access ap.  McAfee says 'ID 10T error' again I told her.  Then we're onto Control panel, to uninstall McAfee because that is clearly causing problems.  Each of her instructions are spelled out in the most appalling pidgin phonetic alphabet.  I wonder if uninstalling McAfee is a sensible thing to do.  She goes off to get a supervisor and on he comes.  He tries with the uninstall McAfee thing again, but eventually I persuade them that the thing to do would be to write ID 10T error down on a piece of paper.  I am struggling not to laugh at this point.  For an employee of Microsoft, he was really quite abusive.  That's Microsoft dealt with for a while,  I'm now waiting for Amazon, BT, HMRC or one of the others to give me a call again.  I was surprised at how much of their time I managed to take up. - getting on for half an hour

Post edited at 11:30
 Toerag 30 Apr 2021
In reply to The Potato:

It's almost certainly your extension wiring. Disconnect the orange wire (which sends ringing current around the extension wiring) if its connected and you're comfortable doing so. Alternatively, unplug any devices other than your router and see if the problem goes away. It could be a device or socket problem, so by removing or moving devices around you may find the culprit.

EDIT - just read your post properly - can't be extension wiring if you don't have any! Try another filter, or get a VDSL faceplate fitted.

Post edited at 14:43
 GrahamD 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

With poor wiring, the current drawn by the line powered DECT phone whilst actually ringing might be an issue.

Toby_W 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

oh, rtq Toby, doh!

Cheers

OP The Potato 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Yes a few people missed the important bits in my post, such as only having one line and no other sockets, and having a filter faceplate so no microfilters.

Im starting to think its the ADSL filter faceplate though, can I use a VDSL with ADSL service?

Toerag 01 May 2021
In reply to The Potato:

> Im starting to think its the ADSL filter faceplate though, can I use a VDSL with ADSL service?

Yes. VDSL uses higher frequencies as well as the ones ADSL uses so won't filter out any of the ADSL signal, which facilitating a future upgrade to VDSL should it come.  Don't forget, you probably need the special punchdown tool if you're fiddling with the wires - wedging the wires in the slots with a screwdriver doesn't work.

Myfyr Tomos 01 May 2021
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Had the very same problem a few weeks back and yes, the fault was at the exchange.

gravy 01 May 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Had this once - turned out to be a corroded electrical connection in the green box up the road. Go through the motions of testing then phone and report.

OP The Potato 02 May 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Off topic but haven't heard the name myfyr in years

Myfyr Tomos 02 May 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Not many of us about...😎

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Had the very same problem a few weeks back and yes, the fault was at the exchange.

We had a similar problem a few years back.   After several visits to our property and several hours spent at the green box at the end of the road, it turned out it was an issue at the exchange.

Post edited at 10:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...