UKC

Children's rights enshrined in law...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciro 13 Apr 2021

... the Tories can't be having that!

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/304799...

"The UK Government has confirmed it is taking Holyrood to the Supreme Court over a Bill that aimed to enshrine UN children's rights in Scotland."

I get that they don't want to see the Scottish parliament overstepping what they see as it's remit, but surely this isn't the hill to die on?

Whatever way you spin it, trying to ensure you retain the right to pass laws that breach children's rights isn't going to be a vote winner...

dread-i 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Ciro:

>Whatever way you spin it, trying to ensure you retain the right to pass laws that breach children's rights isn't going to be a vote winner...

Seems par for the course.

'Reviewing' the Human Rights Act (with a plan to remove the bits they dont like), has long been a tory dream. Breaching children's rights is, simply another step in that direction.

They need to show these rebellious Scots who's the daddy. The SNP is split, with nationalists infighting and defecting. Labor is crumbling. This is too close to the Scottish election, for it to make a difference on the door step. There is no real voice of opposition, so now is the time to lay down the law.

OP Ciro 13 Apr 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> This is too close to the Scottish election, for it to make a difference on the door step. There is no real voice of opposition, so now is the time to lay down the law.

Are you sure the middle of an election campaign is the right time to provide such ammo to the opposition? If it didn't make a difference at this point, surely we wouldn't bother doorstepping anymore.

I got the following message today: "Well, it makes swallowing the colossal costs of independence a lot easier. I can't quite wrap my head around how contemptible this government is. Certainly the worst since Chamberlain, and beyond that I lack enough knowledge to even make comparisons. Get us out, please!"

I think this is exactly the sort of thing that will swing the risk vs reward balance towards SNP for swing voters who are worried about the risks of independence. I'd say the SNP have played a blinder with the timing of this.

wercat 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Ciro:

what about "bonfire of red tape" did you not expect once Brexit was got dung?

We can't any more be doing with any of that european stuff that Britain was a key instigator of when we were regarded as european

Post edited at 12:23
OP Ciro 13 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

> what about "bonfire of red tape" did you not expect once Brexit was got dung?

Oh, I expected it alright. I just want sure if they'd be ready enough to do it during a Scottish election campaign. I thought they might allow royal assent to get past the elections and then launch a legal challenge to try to stop the Scottish parliament doing similar in future.

> We can't any more be doing with any of that european stuff that Britain was a key instigator of when we were regarded as european

I'm sure you're just presenting a caricature here, but the United Nations Convention of the Right of the Child had nothing to do with the EU. 

This is a much more fundamental attack on the rights of children by the Tories - it's the most widely ratified human rights treaty in the world.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...