UKC

Derbyshire/Cheshire - Where to live?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shane.lonergan 27 May 2019

I’m starting a new job in east Cheshire on the Derbyshire border in September. I’m trying to decide where to live at the moment. I’m moving on my own so I’m hoping to find a place with a nice community and an outdoor scene - climbers/hill runners etc Can anybody suggest a place? 

Andy Hardy 27 May 2019
In reply to Shane.lonergan:

Macclesfield

Alex@home 27 May 2019

Whaley Bridge. You can run in the hills pretty much from your door, 30 mins or under to Eastern edges, central limestone, Roaches area, good access to Manchester and Sheffield, Lakes and N Wales are only about 2 hours away, doctor and dentist, supermarket, cafes, running club, loads of like minded people. We've been here about 12 years now and wouldn't want to go anywhere else. 

abr1966 27 May 2019

Do you want a town or village? Macc is ok, easy for trains and easier to commute out of than in to....

There are a range of villages/areas of various sizes. Buxton is ok but a bit less connected....Leek is better value and a nice small town and Whaley Bridge is ok.

I'm in Kettleshulme which is small but pretty. 

Depends on budget to be fair as its not the cheapest of areas....

mrphilipoldham 27 May 2019

I’m in Birch Vale, between Hayfield and New Mills. Have in mind moving but really struggling to find anywhere more perfect. 35-45 minutes to any Peak crag, fell running aplenty around Kinder and the lower surrounding hills. Train to Manchester is 35 minutes and a little longer to Sheffield in the opposite direction. 

Alex@home 27 May 2019

Another thing which may or may not bother you is constituency. East Cheshire is solid Tory whereas High Peak is a lab/con marginal and is currently labour. On local issues our current MP is great - something which could definitely not be said of her predecessor

iusedtoclimb 31 May 2019

We live just outside Macclesfield and it’s great 

i would bear in mind that if you are driving to work the roads can get quite treacherous in winter going over the hills. 

Stig 31 May 2019

Rest assured you are moving to the right place. There are runners and climbers all over the place round here. Brilliant cycling as well both on and off road.

try:

Bollington (gorgeous, probably expensive)

Rainow

Disley

New Mills

Whaley

Chapel (the joker in this pack)

Chinley

Buxton

sutton and Langley south of Macc are nice but probably pricey

avoid Adlington it’s full of X5 driving gammons and Poynton is too suburban (well the old mining village bit is nice).

Thanks for the input everybody! Lots of food for thought! Alex@home I hadn’t considered the politics of the counties - very worthwhile consideration. Iusedtoclimb I’ll prbly try to cycle to work so the condition of the roads in winter will be very important so that’s another important consideration. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...