UKC

Dog proofing a car boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IMA 11 Jul 2012
Having just got a new car, I have been trying to find a good way of covering/protecting the boot against the dogs. They aren't destructive just get very mucky and sandy.

I have seen something from Hatchbag.co.uk that looks like it is just about right for the job

Protects the - floor / back / sides and a roll out to go over the bumper against the claws.

Anyone any experience or recommend a product? Car is a Golf hatch.

Thanks in advance
 stonemaster 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA: How big is/are the dog/dogs?
OP IMA 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA: Springer and a weimaraner, both small for their breeds.
 stonemaster 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA: But still sizeable. Too big to put into zip up bags.
OP IMA 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA: unfortunately, springer may fit in a one of those cold bins you normally put your food in though - have to go test it
 RagingSphere 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA:
VW actually do load liners for the boot ranging in price from £45 for one that will get trashed quickly by doggy paws to £177 for one that will last for years.

Check out their accessories website.

Mark
 The Lemming 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA:

What about some off cuts of carpet?
OP IMA 11 Jul 2012
In reply to monkeymark: No carpet cuts anywhere, entire house is wood or tiles and a few rugs lol. Also I want it to be removable so if I'm throwing in other gear or want the extra space back for luggage its all fairly easy.

I'll check the vw site, odd how the guy didn't try sell it to me after attempting everything else lol.
 Toby S 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA:

What about a cheapie boot liner? Argos do them, I've got a carpet lined boot (in cream, what was I thinking!) and I picked one up for about £20. Stops mucky walking and cycling kit marking the upholstery and it should be ok for dogs too.
 The Lemming 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA:
> (In reply to monkeymark) No carpet cuts anywhere, entire house is wood or tiles and a few rugs lol.

Surely there must be some local carpet shops to check out?
 rousse 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA: Hi, we had a hatchbag boot liner for our estate (had a large Weimaraner...). The fit and materials were really good, the fasteners to hold the top of the liner around the edges of the boot (below the windows) were not so good, but this was going back 7 years so they may have improved. They were flat plastic hooks that hooked over the trim that the liner then velcro'd onto, but the velcro kept coming off the plastic hooks.

We got the liner and the fitted carpet bit to go on top of it. The dog loved it and would lie in the car given any opportunity...

Hope this helps.
 rousse 11 Jul 2012
In reply to rousse: Just to clarify that the bits that failed held up the side parts of the liner - the loops going round the headrests were fine.

Just had a look at the site - the pet mat thing looks luxury!
Moggsy 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA: - google bootbuddy ...about £100

I've got 2 mental springers, keeps the car in good nick.
 Fraser 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA:

I've just got a bootliner from bootliners.co.uk for my Passat estate. From memory, they had the optional fold-out flap for bumper protection for a reasonable extra-over cost. Good value at about £29 for the basic one and their service was very good for what I wold say is a decent quality product.
 dingbat46 11 Jul 2012
In reply to IMA:

Another vote for hatchbag and boot buddy. Currently have a hatchbag in a focus estate and it is superb for keeping the boot clean with a very hairy white dog. The boot buddy is good but the only problem I found is that the dog hair eventually found its way down the sides of the liner as it doesn't fasten to the side of the boot. Its also a pain to store should you not want it in the boot for whatever reason.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...