UKC

Dog walk wildlife.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 17 May 2022

Saw my first family group of long tailed tits, and noticed the nuthatches must have fledged. Great view of blue tits foraging. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Roe buck. Friend saw a kid the other week. I only ever seem to see them in the distance, not seen any so far. And a good view of a whitethroat…..

Post edited at 22:08

….until I zoomed in and saw what must be a tick, the size of its eye! Hope it’s ok. 

bouldery bits 17 May 2022

> ….until I zoomed in and saw what must be a tick, the size of its eye! Hope it’s ok. 

Wow! 

This remains my favourite thread title. Great snaps. 

Post edited at 22:25
 ripper 17 May 2022

Didn't have camera with me unfortunately, but nice to watch a female goosander (I think) swimming quite close by with six chicks

Michael Hood 18 May 2022
In reply to ripper:

Near my work, there's a stretch of the Irwell in Salford that has loads of Goosanders on it. But not seen many goosanderlings (I have unilaterally decided that this is the correct word 😁). One brood of 4 now seems to be 3 ☹️ and there's another female with just 1.

Loads of male and female without any young, but fascinating to watch them swimming underwater.

Although the Irwell can look pretty naff at times because of the amount of rubbish that gets swept down, it must be reasonably clean to support all these Goosanders.

Similarly, there are loads of Canada Geese but only 3 sets of goslings (1 + 2 + 6). Not sure how last week's 2 + 4 has morphed into that unless the 4 has become 2 and the 2 has become 1.

Not sure if the single Greylag hanging out with the Canadas realises it's on its own yet.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Few years back a young lad caught a 20+ pound carp out of the Irwell. 

And yes, you have invented a new word !

A Greater Spotted Woodpecker had a quick game of peekaboo yesterday! It flew to a tree and must of seen me on a path nearby. Scurried round the back of the tree. Few seconds later head out one side to have a look, then back hidden, and a few seconds later out the other side. Back and forth a few times.

I noticed it had a mouthful of food and I guess it didn’t want to show me where it was nesting. Soon was off in the distance though.

Post edited at 09:29
 Bobling 19 May 2022

Thanks! Lovely pictures, though could have done without the tick!

I've just spent the last hour in the bath re-reading "How to be a bad bird watcher" by Simon Barnes and feel much happier for it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...