UKC

eating dinner alone, edinburgh city centre - ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goosebump 07 Jan 2013
I was a student in Edinburgh, but that was ages ago and I have no idea where would be good for a spot of dinner on ma todd whilst in the city for work. I like most food but no crap, prefer reading a book in the company of strangers to actually talking, and am staying at the Haymarket end of things (plan on wandering hither and thither down memory lane though). Where is good these days?
 Mike-W-99 07 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump:
Some good sushi at haymarket. The off licence down the road (Apellation Wines) has a few seats and free wifi, the owner is a former colleague of mine who made his hobby a career!

Illegal Jacks on Lothian road serves big if not visually attractive burritos amongst other things. Theres also a new pub nearby (Hanging Bat) that is apparently very good and does food. I keep meaning to have a look as its 2 mins from my work.
 another_mark 07 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump: Is this not another dating thread then?
 Milesy 07 Jan 2013
The Edinburgh Mother India's Cafe.
 joeldering 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:
I went to the Mother India's Cafe in Glasgow and it was absolutely amazing. The food was fantastic and pretty cheap!
Gone for good 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy: Dunno about Edinburgh but the one in Glasgow in the West End is magnificent! (Kelvingrove)
 Milesy 07 Jan 2013
Yeah I could eat out the Glasgow one every single day of the week and never get sick of it. It is by a long way my favourite restaurant. I regularly drive the 30 miles round trip from my house just for a take away as well. It takes away really well and heats up just a fresh.
In reply to goosebump:
There are 3 Michelin stared restaurants in Edinburgh so I'd choose one of them.
 tony 08 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump:

If you fancy a really really good burger, the Cambridge Bar on Young Street is wonderful. Good beer too, and comfy sofas.

Slight disclaimer - I've only been there at lunchtimes, so I don't know what the vibe is like in the evening, but it's just about my favourite Saturday lunchtime venue.
 Mike-W-99 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:
The Edinburgh Mother India is fine but I always feel rushed when eating there. Really must head west to try the original at some point.
 Tall Clare 08 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump:

Last time I was in Edinburgh we went to a really great Sudanese restaurant - the <something> Nile, if I remember rightly. Very informal atmosphere, you bring your own alcohol (if desired), great food. Perhaps someone else knows the name of the place!
 tony 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

The Nile Valley, on Chapel Street, near the University.
 Tricky Dicky 08 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump: I like Anna Purna http://www.annpurna-edinburgh.co.uk/ but I am a vegetarian, so might be a bit biased. It's damn fine food though.
Ferret 08 Jan 2013
In reply to I like climbing: 4 at present I think......Wisharts, Kitchen, Castle Terrace and Number One in the Balmoral. Plumed Horse must have dropped a star recently (it was always borderline in tehrecent years I've known it) and I thought 21212 was on but that may be my imagination and/or its dropped off again recently.
 Doug 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tricky Dicky:
> (In reply to goosebump) I like Anna Purna http://www.annpurna-edinburgh.co.uk/ but I am a vegetarian, so might be a bit biased. It's damn fine food though.

One of my favourites, also the Kalpna (spelling ?) just across the road
In reply to Ferret:
Good to know, thanks !
Ferret 08 Jan 2013
In reply to I like climbing: Personal favourite is and always has been Wisharts..... Number one doesn't float my boat perhaps as I'm less fond of the 'glory restaurant in a hotel' type style. Castle Terrace is great, and the fixed price lunch menu is superb value (getting its star within 1 year of opening is I think fairly impressive).... its a sister restaurant to Tom Kitchens place which I still havn't been to yet but based on Castle Terrace it is presumably similarly good/better.
OP goosebump 08 Jan 2013
In reply to all:

Blimey! Thanks for so many ideas. Im on the train just now so will do some speedy googling and settle on a likely winner (its not going to be a michelin starred place)
Thanks all!
 Martin W 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Ferret:
> (In reply to I like climbing) 4 at present I think

According to http://www.michelinonline.co.uk/travel/star-history.htm there's five: Martin Wishart and The Kitchin (both in Leith so not handy for Haymarket!) then Castle Terrace, Number One and 21212 in the city centre. Apparently The Plumed Horse lost its star this year, although I have to admit that I'd never heard of the place even when it did have a star.

(I see Champany's near Linlithgow has lost its star this year. A friend of mine found it very ordinary when he stayed there a few months back.)
Ferret 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin W: Yes - Champany is very ordinary bar the prices. Middle of country, 20 odd miles outside Edinburgh and charging central london prices on steak and chips....
To the OP - appreciate all this Michelin stuff is well off post - even if I could aford to treat myself and only myself I wouldn't as I would feel a right sad git sat there on my own surrounded by (largely) expense account dinners, city slickers and tweedy old money types......
In reply to goosebump: We ate at an Indian restaurant called Ghandi's (full marks for originality there, chaps) last time we were there, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you, we had been in the Blue Blazer (which keeps a fine selection of beers) first so that may have coloured our opinion, but not too much.

The restaurant is on East Fountainbridge, just adjacant to Lothian Road; so not too far from where you'll be. Their website is at http://www.gandhisrestaurant.co.uk/

T.
Removed User 08 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump:

Chop Chop in Morrison Street gets good reviews although I haven't been there myself.

The Cavalry Club in Shandwick Place is very reasonable.

Kampong Ah Lee in Fountainbridge is good for food but the ambience is not as good as the original Malaysian cafe in South Clerk Street which is still open.

Hendersons is still going of course if you fancy something veggie.

The Baillie in Stockbridge does good pub food and Bell's diner across the road is great for burgers.
 Mike-W-99 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:
My Chinese friend doesn't rate chop cop very highly.
Have to say when I visited the udmplings were good and the rest very ordinary with the waiter itching to tell us about Gordon Ramsey's favourite dishes.

I've just remembered, theres a superb Vietnamese on grove street. Bookings advised although midweek should be fine without.
 James90 09 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump:

My personal favorite in edinburgh is the dome (george street), beutiful place to eat and great quality food and a great all round experience.
http://www.thedomeedinburgh.com/

My girlfriend recommends sushia (just of haymarket on dalry road).

Mike-W-99 15 Jan 2013
In reply to goosebump:
So, where did you go in the end?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...