UKC

Freezer thermometer with remote access?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 22 May 2019

Am looking for a freezer thermometer that can be read (& receive alerts?) remotely.

My sister has a freezer in a weekend cottage with a load of food in it, and it would be a shame to loose it.
There are occasional outages (which are bearable) and sometimes just one circuit on the RCD trips (which we may or may not know about)

We have hive for heating (but they don't appear to have any thermometers of any sort), and a couple of webcams, so we know if the power goes off in the whole house or on certain circuits, but it would be nice to get some warning if the freezer gets too warm (there is a friendly neighbour who will go in and flick a breaker switch as necessary)

Any recommendations/thoughts?

TIA

balmybaldwin 22 May 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

You could get a standard thermometer for a fridge (I got one for £10 off amazon) and then point a webcam at it?

Alternatively get a usb thermometer with a probe and build your own device using an arduino or similar to be able to access via wifi?

I had a set-up like this when I had a lot of reptile vivariums (used to do animal rescue) rigged up to a pc so I could monitor remotely

Philip 22 May 2019

You could spend far less and get the electrics fixed!

An alert for a property isn't going to help if it's too far away to check. Take the fridge off the RCD (and the heating, presume you need some power for it). Use RCBO for each, or if that's difficult, put a socket by the CU on an RCBO and run an extension lead to the freezer for when you're away - just swap it over when you visit.

Reach>Talent 22 May 2019

Raspberry pi and a ds18b20 temperature sensor is probably as cheap a solution as you are going to get.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...