UKC

Game of Thrones total catch-up?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 25 May 2019

I submit! How would one proceed in catching up with this phenomenon...from series 1 onwards? I'm not entirely looking for a total freebie. In my run down to complete some very remote Corbetts l fancied watching an episode or two on my tablet, while ensconsed in bivi or tent.

In reply to gilliesp:

This isn't a solution, but a story.

In late 2017 I severed my patella tendon (that's another story). For my rehabilitation I bought a turbo  trainer for my bike which I decided to use for 2 hours a day during January and February 2018. To make it more bearable I started watching GofT from the beginning which was all available on Sky at that time. So each episode became a training span. In the end I got through the lot.

What did I learn from this?

Turbo trainers are boring and the first three series of GofT are amongst the finest of their type ever made. It goes downhill a little in 4 and 5 and then much more in 6 and 7 although I am not a hardcore 'remake series 8' people since I thought it carried on in much the same way as 6 and 7.

Alan

In reply to gilliesp:

Start at the beginning, it's the only way you'll have a handle on the who, what and why of it all.

I was converted to watching it from an initially sceptical position, and it is a good watch. Enjoy.

T.

oldie 25 May 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

A 70 y o  acquaintance sceptical about fantasies was given GoT 1-7 while recovering from cancer surgery. They found it diverting and brilliant. Machiavellian multiple story lines with a range of different characters (usually with some redeeming features), sex, nudity, brutality,,,,,whats not to like. 

I was surprised that the later series kept a reasonably high standard even after going ahead of the author's published books, though I believe he did lay out the framework. The Battle of the Bastards episode even made the most of the huge budget.

I was slightly disappointed with the latest series, especially the lack of humour in exchanges between the characters, and found it a bit indulgent. However IMO it did satisfactorily tie up the various story lines and had the usual surprises along the way.

Post edited at 11:49
OP gilliesp 25 May 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

What a great story! 

OP gilliesp 25 May 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

My family have all watched it. I was just  too busy and I'll badger my tech smart sun and daughters too. 

GoneFishing111 25 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

Sky "Go" on your tablet would work, but i bought them all from amazon, cost about £120.00 iirc.

Watched it all from the beginning twice.

I should probably get a life lol.

Stichtplate 25 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

Perhaps not in the spirit of the OP, but I’ve recently started rewatching from the start with my eldest. All over again, I’ve been blown away by quality character driven drama, totally at odds with the plot driven mess of season 8.

Dax H 25 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

Why not read the books instead. Part of being away for me is not using devices with screens so it's books all the way. (not 100% true, I read on a kindle for the convinience but won't use a tablet, phone or laptop when away. 

Big Steve 26 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

It is all on Now TV, which is cheaper than Sky 

James B 26 May 2019
In reply to Big Steve:

> It is all on Now TV, which is cheaper than Sky 

^This. If you binge-watched the lot in a month and then cancelled your subscription you’d spend about £7

Post edited at 06:53
 Big Steve 26 May 2019
In reply to James B:

Once you have finished GOT, have a look at the Project Blue Book series, I've only just started it but am enjoying it 

Pullhard 26 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

Showbox is said to be good 

nufkin 26 May 2019
In reply to Dax H:

>  Why not read the books instead

And for free too, if your local library has 'em.

On the downside, there's a chance GM will snuff it before ever actually finishing

The Lemming 27 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

This should help you catch up before the last season

youtube.com/watch?v=HaRQaDjKShA&

The Lemming 27 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

This catch up may not be accurate

youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ&

Doug 27 May 2019
In reply to nufkin:

Our local library also has most of the series as DVD boxed sets

The Lemming 29 May 2019
In reply to gilliesp:

Here's some uncut stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=nws1JQHBlJA&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...