UKC

geocaching - south nottingham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have been tasked with organising a geocaching walk for my dads birthday soon. He lives near keyworth so looking for something near there. How do i find out where has a number of caches suitable for a mixed group including children and people carrying babies can find in say 3 hrs for walk/hunt plus driving to and from keyworth.

I've tried to log onto geocache forum but my app isn't being approved.will have a few garmins etc
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Oh and keyworth is south nottingham
 toad 05 Feb 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): I know there are some on the Grantham Canal round Hicking as I met some people along there once! Easy paths, possibility of pub stop at the Plough (though it's been a while since I was in there) Don't know any website etc details, though
 owlart 05 Feb 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): No t sure if it's atill around, but there used to be a plug-in for Google earth that showed you all the caches on the map, so you could get an idea of cache density that way, maybe.
 Wingnut 05 Feb 2013
Zoom the map and and out and look for "clumps" of icons - a lot of the time they're circular walks. If you're lucky the CO will have given some summary details on the listing for the first one in the series eg "This walk should take around two and a half hours and is on footpaths and a short stretch of quiet lane. Parking at the waypoint below." - which is the sort of thing you need to know.
 Wingnut 05 Feb 2013
In reply to owlart:
If you find a listing for one cache in an area, there's a link on the listing for google-maps-with-geocaching-icons which will show you all the others in the area.
 Wingnut 05 Feb 2013
Have just had a look, and Keyworth has its very own series - the Keyworth Cache Crawl. Might be a bit long for what you need, though, and not suitable for pushchairs.
(1st one in the series is GC407M5 if interested.)
In reply to Wingnut:
> (In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC))
> Have just had a look,

had a look where... on the google earth thing mentioned above?

Enty 05 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Wingnut)
> [...]
>
> had a look where... on the google earth thing mentioned above?

I just had a look on the Geocache map and there's loads of clusters and series caches really close to where you are.
Looks like there's a good one based around the National Transport Heritage Centre at Ruddington.

E
 mack 05 Feb 2013

You will need to log onto the website yourself at some point to gain the coords for caches. As your app doesn't work try logging on using a computer and printing off the info for any caches you want to do. It's actually quite handy having printouts of the caches (and most contain clues/hints) for group cachers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...