UKC

Golden retriever puppy update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 27 Feb 2019

So the puppy update

Had Bob about 6/7 weeks now. He’s been to our own vet for a general health check and flying colours were flown. He is on Royal Cannin golden retriever puppy food (dry biscuit) with a scrambled egg in the morning and a little chicken fed as treats every other day. weighed him today and he’s bang on, 13kg. 

He is 90% house trained and it was very easy, far easier than i expected, we learned with him, having to take him in the garden every 30 mins but now, thanks to this great weather, the back door is mainly open but even at night, he’ll go to the back door and if it’s shut he’ll sit and wait. It’s up to us of course to spot the signs and follow him through the kitchen and open the door. treat reward approach has worked fabulously, he is yet to have ‘human’ food and doesn’t bat an eye when we are eating.

he can do an hour max when we are out and from early barking in the cage he now travels virtually silently. He knows the car and cage means out and about means fun times and meeting other dogs. 

He is a submissive dog and straight on his back showing his underside to other dogs straight away, but interacts confidently once he’s ‘met’ them.

Been in water upto his belly quite confidently but doesn’t really bother with ducks/geese although he’ll quite happily eat their poo if we let him! 

Made the mistake of treating him to a pigs ear at the weekend, far to rich for him. He loved it but an hour later a substance akin to used engine oil erupted from him and saw me getting the carpet cleaner out of the garage at 11 at night!

we are stepping up the training next week looking at sit/wait/come. He’ll sit now and sometimes wait but we’ve never set it as his goal with a reward, will update in the coming weeks.

Bad things? none really, for saying he’s a retriever he does the opposite! he loves shoes and slippers and will pinch them and run off with em, likewise with glasses case, tv remote, belts....He’s more of a stick dog than a ball dog. He has a choice a great toys (point of view from a human) but his favourite by far is the tried and tested empty water bottle with some treats inside it! 

What a friend we have, we are very lucky to have this in our lives and he brings so much fun and enjoyment. Until now i never understood how much interaction with other dog owners your own dog brings, we’ve met so many interesting people. 

As ever UKC has been a valuable resource with advice before we even got him, I feel duty bound to update those who have  given advice freely. I’ve always liked dogs more than people and feel like a proud father

OP wilkie14c 27 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Of course, if you aren’t into dogs, you can skip straight past this and go straight to the brexit threads (without collecting €200)

In reply to wilkie14c:

> I’ve always liked dogs more than people and feel like a proud father

Stick with dogs. They're less set in their ways.

T.

OP wilkie14c 27 Feb 2019

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

word brother. Dogs, it’s black or white 

The Lemming 27 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Been in water upto his belly quite confidently but doesn’t really bother with ducks/geese although he’ll quite happily eat their poo if we let him!

Bailey loves to terrorise the swans at the park.

Got any pictures of your chap?

Edit

Make loads of videos while he is small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_lgIk7k2UY&list=PLzozqJXQFVeGr_6wR7ChA...

Post edited at 23:38
OP wilkie14c 27 Feb 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

dude you have far too much camera time! He’s smaller  than your boots?! guess them days are gone? I’ll get me  another youtube channel, i have one but it’s closed to public (railway stuff) and get  bobster online. your pup couldn’t get on the sofa, mines here sat next to me farting, don’t know what’s worse?

Post edited at 23:54
 The Lemming 28 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

You'll know what's worse when he finds fox shit to roll in.

Sputnick 28 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Lovely post.  We got our german shepherd pup in late September  and has been a total delight too. I am still shocked at the love and protection she pulls out of me. Despite the lino the door the skirting board. I take her out every day through a local sheep field and never had her chase. Chasing squirrels, hares, grouse and other dogs is too much fun to deprive her of. Good luck on your journey. 

toad 28 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'm quite careful with my 5 yr old retriever as he seems to have a delicate stomach- we had a dose of haemorrhagic diarreah a couple of years ago that was very scary for us all. 

He is also the worlds worst retriever. More of a golden chase and ignorer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...