UKC

Hi-Fi tweaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have recently purchased myself a really nice pair of Hi-Fi bookshelf speakers. My first pair of decent speakers. 

During this process I have learned a few things such as not putting the speakers right back against the wall stops them from causing bass frequencies in a trap and sounding "woolly" and that super expensive copper cable really does make a difference to the sound. 

I also invested in some foam speaker isolation pads which really made a huge difference by stopping the bookshelf from vibrating and acting as part of the speaker cabinets. 

Does anyone have any other methods / tricks to get the very best out of a system? 

Of course it all depends on your music library...... looking at you Beiber fans.....

Post edited at 23:05
Lusk 21 Jul 2018
In reply to Gravitationally challenged:

As a B&W 601 Series 1 owner for 20 odd years, I used to have to weigh them down when playing Metallica, AC/DC et al, at full volume to stop them moving around.

It's a dangerous road to go down. You may end up buying stuff like this:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

I think it's the equivalent of the Daily Mash. But I'm not entirely sure...

ps. Some bookshelf speakers are designed to be mounted close to the wall to reinforce low frequency response.

Removed User 22 Jul 2018

my advice would be, that if you are happy with the current set up, leave it at that-the quest for perfection may drive you bonkers.

Rob Parsons 22 Jul 2018

> During this process I have learned a few things such as ... that super expensive copper cable really does make a difference to the sound. 

It doesn't have to be 'super expensive.' All that's required is large cross-section copper cable: the aim is minimal resistance.

Toby_W 22 Jul 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons: was about to say the same and suggest mains cable.  I have a couple of good audio amps at home and some very very high end test equipment at work that goes down to audio frequencies and I keep meaning to take the amps in and test them to see how they perform.

i’d be Really interested to know how sensitive we are to things like linearity etc.

I’ve always fancied building my own, anyone done this?

cheers

toby

Andy Gamisou 23 Jul 2018

I generally like to improve the acoustic experience via the old "bag on the head" trick and the deployment of "slim-line salad dressing".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...