UKC

Holiday help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 13 Apr 2019

So myself and my partner share a birthday, she's exactly 10 years older than me so in July 2021 we turn 40&50 and want to go on a great holiday to celebrate

We want to do something special, both of us have wanted to do the machu pichu trail(the 4 day walk not the bus)

She would also like a week on a beach type resort(one with no kids)

So Im after ideas, we have 2/3 weeks and a budget of £5k max each

Ideally a twin break type thing, with something active and unique...a once in a lifetiem experience type thing and then a relaxing week in a really nice resort.

Initial ideas are, macchu pichu then maybe Cuba for a week but am after ideas for alternatives that we may not have considered, we dont have to do the macchu pichu if something else amazing was available.

She doesnt do cold weather, boats or climbing

Any suggestions?

Dave the Rave 13 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

Get a new one  

toad 13 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

New Zealand south IsLand. Every box ticked

Blue Straggler 13 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

I’ve never been but:

go to Thailand and do a scuba or freediving course for half a week, then some tourism around the country, then back for a bit more diving (and maybe sneak in some climbing) plus beach chilling out. 

I have been to Macchu Picchu and it was great (also went to Salar Di Uyuni with some effort) but I think that could be done at some less special time 

Post edited at 22:58
Moley 13 Apr 2019
In reply to toad:

Agreed, bumming around on South Island with a hired campervan would tick every box. Nelson (north end of South Island) has the best weather of the whole country - so when you've had enough of the rain elsewhere head for Nelson and some sunshine.

Kush coffee is worth travelling across the world for.  http://kush.co.nz/shop/coffee-beans-new-zealand/

toad 13 Apr 2019
In reply to Moley:

Yeah, I was amazed at how seriously the kiwis take their coffee

Darron 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

The Inca (stinker) trail was by a country mile the worst trek I’ve done. Macho Picchu was fantastic though.

Wadi Rum & gulf of Aqaba.

Annapurna circuit and somewhere on the way/back?

Galapagos?

Zimbabwe walkingsafari then the coast?

Yosemite - Death Valley - Las Vegas?

SenzuBean 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

I'd put forward the West Coast of the South Island as well. There are golden sand beaches you'll have all to yourself and newly set up tramping tracks (less crowds). It's got so much packed into one little place.
In the same view (more or less), you can see golden sand beaches, blue waves, the white caps of the highest Southern alps, granite sea cliffs and limestone crags towering through rainforest full of palm trees. It rains heavily when it rains, but then comes fine again. If you want to escape the rains properly, you can just head over to the rain shadow on the East of the alps.

cap'nChino 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Darron:

Yosemite - Death Valley - Las Vegas?

^This^ but only pass through death valley for an afternoon. Spend time at Tualome Meadows after Yosemite. Chill/party in Las Vegas. 

kingborris 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cap'nChino:

Could be quite toasty in July! 

Pedro50 14 Apr 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I'd put forward the West Coast of the South Island as well. <

Funny how no one ever mentions the sand flies. 

Moley 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

> Funny how no one ever mentions the sand flies. 

Selective memory loss - forgot those little b******s!

robert-hutton 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Or the dense forests so you cannot see anything.

Post edited at 09:08
 Phil1919 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

Travel slowly up the west coast of Scotland in May. Get to realise you don't have to go to the other side of the world to have the experience. Don't take a vehicle. 

Wainers44 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Moley:

Totally agree, for a special holiday you won't beat NZ. 

Only just back from 3weeks touring around S Island in a van. Massively lucky with the weather including blue sunny skies at Milford Sound, Fox Glacier, Tekapo, Queenstown, Mnt Cook etc!

I am sure there are other lovely places to go in the world, but to be honest I just want to go back there!!! 

Rob Parsons 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Darron:

> Yosemite - Death Valley - Las Vegas?

The inspired thing about this suggestion is that, if you finish in Vegas and gamble 'scientifically' (*), you could actually turn a profit on the entire trip!

(* Only place bets when you are 'feeling lucky.')

Post edited at 10:53
 Fredt 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

Masai Mara Safari - Kilimanjaro or Mt Kenya - Mombasa hotel on the beach.

profitofdoom 14 Apr 2019

In reply:

> Totally agree, for a special holiday you won't beat NZ.... to be honest I just want to go back there!!! 

Yes, a great place, and I hate to sound a note of doubt, but the OP said "we have 2/3 weeks". If 2 weeks, is that long enough for NZ? Considering the very long journey.... e.g. a full day and full night to travel just to Auckland from the UK [never mind the rest of NZ], plus recovery time. If just 2 weeks, or even 3, I PERSONALLY would stick to the US or Europe

ianstevens 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> Totally agree, for a special holiday you won't beat NZ. 

> Only just back from 3weeks touring around S Island in a van. Massively lucky with the weather including blue sunny skies at Milford Sound, Fox Glacier, Tekapo, Queenstown, Mnt Cook etc!

> I am sure there are other lovely places to go in the world, but to be honest I just want to go back there!!! 

Really is amazing isn’t it. I’m getting close to the end of my third trip here (back to the UK next weekend) and it just does not get old.

Moley 14 Apr 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

I had two trips there, second one was for 6 weeks (took unpaid leave from work, sod it). Based with a kind friend who emigrated there over 20 years ago, I had met him through the Dragons Back race and he had run the original race.

He lived outside Nelson so most of my time was tramping in the northern section of the Island, load my gear up and go for a week, then come back to resupply, sleep and eat! I got around mainly by hitching, it is that sort of country. Could spend a lot of time there just scratching the surface of what is on offer, I avoided all the big named trails and met very few people for days on end.

In reply to Darron:

> Galapagos?

No no no no no no etc for 100 years

arch 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

I'd spend 6 weeks in Japan around the 20 Sept - 2 Nov.

SenzuBean 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

> Funny how no one ever mentions the sand flies. 

Honest I never experienced them on the part I was talking about (Punakaiki area). In Fiordland though...

OP cfer 14 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

Thanks to all for suggestions, hadnt considered NZ but will take a look, it has to be in July as we want to be away foir the actual birthday

Martin Hore 14 Apr 2019
In reply to toad:

> New Zealand south IsLand. Every box ticked

In July?? For 2/3 weeks??

If it was 4-6 weeks in February I'd agree completely.

Martin

Moley 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

> In July?? For 2/3 weeks??

> If it was 4-6 weeks in February I'd agree completely.

> Martin

Good point, July is sort of winter over there.

Darron 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Fredt:

You would need to replace Mt Kenya with Pt Lenana but yes.

Post edited at 20:19
 Darron 14 Apr 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Fair point, well made.

toad 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Ah. Bum

SenzuBean 15 Apr 2019
In reply to cfer:

Other suggestion would be SW BC. Vancouver island has got some high quality multi-day trips, stunning mountains, quality beaches and is in many ways very beautiful and quiet. There are some old growth forests which are fantastic, if a bit sombre at how little is left. You could have a look at some of the glaciers either in the Rockies or just Northern BC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...