UKC

Internet blockers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
For the last few days I've been using an internet blocker called Cold Turkey (which is why I haven't been on here during the day, except v briefly at 11, lunchtime, and 4 o'clock), and it's proved to be a total success. My productivity has gone up by at least 300%. Rather highly recommended for anyone who wants to get any creative work done.
 quirky 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

A great app. Even if just blocked for an hour i find i get loads done!

Try working on a website that is also your main source of procrastination!
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

I've even blocked WordPress, so can't work on my own website while the block's running.
In reply to quirky:

I love the way it gives you these cheeky/useful quotes if you try to go onto any website. Samples:

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. – Steve Jobs

It is never too late to be what you might have been. – George Eliot

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. – Henry Ford

Brass Nipples 09 Jan 2018

Presumably you just want to block some Internet activity not all. Otherwise just turn your router or modem off at the wall.
In reply to Lion Bakes:

No, I don't just want to turn the internet on and off. I still need a few things going. But the main thing is that I can have a daily schedule set, including morning, lunch and tea breaks. After 6.30 pm, if I want to continue working uninterrupted, I just set a separate timed block.
Post edited at 02:00
 Timmd 09 Jan 2018
> No, I don't just want to turn the internet on and off. I still need a few things going. But the main thing is that I can have a daily schedule set. After 6.30 pm, if I want to continue working uninterrupted, I just set a separate timed block.

My Dad used to keep a work diary so that he had to fill it with things he'd done, or else he'd risk looking back on his time spent at work at the end of the day and not have anything to show for it, another means of self motivation for the self employed. I'm thinking I need to do the same for my distance learning. Right now doesn't count as I'm letting my medication take effect to stop myself feeling feverish so I can sleep.
Post edited at 02:07
In reply to Timmd:

> My Dad used to keep a work diary so that he had to fill it with things he'd done, or else he'd look back on his time spent at work at the end of the week, and not have anything to show for it.

Yes, that's quite a good system. About a decade ago, when I was writing a science fiction novel, I had a system on my computer diary where I just 'clocked on and off', giving the times. Then, at the end of the week, I would add up the actual hours worked. This is far more relevant, btw, than the 'number of words written per day' (I've long regarded this as a kind of layman's load of bollocks) ... simply because, on some days when you write very little, you have done huge amounts of useful work relating to what you are about to write that is far more important than the days when you actually write. Re. number of words written, I'm fond of quoting an Oscar Wilde story, when he was asked if he'd had a good day writing and he said 'Yes'. 'What did you do?' 'I put in a comma.' Astonishment. 'Is that all you did?!' 'No, I took it out again.'
 Toccata 09 Jan 2018

My home office computer cannot connect to the internet. Amazing how productive an evening can be without distraction.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...