UKC

Microchipped sticker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sabilly1 30 Oct 2023

Bit of a random one, 

Picked up a griptonite sticker from a climbing wall and noticed a microchip on the sticky side.

What is it for? 

Luke90 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Sabilly1:

I'd guess it's an NFC chip that you can scan with your phone using their app to link you to the climb.

CantClimbTom 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Sabilly1:

Maybe tangential, but what a weird name for a product given that cryptonite is the one thing that weakens the superhero.

I mean what would griptonite do, surely it'd cause a climbing superman or superwoman to get an immediate pump and fall off (to their doom?)  if it even comes close to them? OK I'll shut up now.

In reply to Luke90:

I log climbs with the griptonite app, but it’s done via the phone camera and QR codes on the starting hold tag. Not sure what the microchip is for.

Luke90 31 Oct 2023
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> I log climbs with the griptonite app, but it’s done via the phone camera and QR codes on the starting hold tag. Not sure what the microchip is for.

There's no technical info on their website as far as I can see but the picture of the tag definitely shows an NFC-like symbol and refers to wireless technology. Maybe they have different versions of the tag or maybe you've just been choosing to scan the QR code but also have the option of using NFC. They'd need the QR code as at least an option because not all phones have NFC.

https://griptonite.io/#smart-route-tags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...