UKC

Pipe diagnosis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 15 Apr 2018

I’ve dug up a pipe in my garden, it looks like a mains water pipe - approx 1 inch galvanised steel. But I would assume my supply is in plastic pipe from the age of the house. Is there any way of telling if it’s a ‘live’ pipe, short of cutting the thing?

In digging it up with a mini digger it’s got bent so before I start thinking about repairs it would be useful to know if it’s my mains water or just some old remnant.

Lusk 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Get one these and turn your taps on and off.

http://www.hwmglobal.com/st20-listening-stick/

jkarran 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Galvanized sounds a bit odd, are you sure it's not a cable duct to a garage or shed or driveway lights?

Jk

Moley 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

The mains water pipe that runs under the field in front of our house is asbestos (so we are informed), so I wouldn't rule anything out!

oldie 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

A similar pipe in our first house was for gas.

If your neighbours' houses were built at the same time they might know.

Rigid Raider 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

An asbestos water main? How would that withstand the pressure?

No need to buy a special tool, just find a piece of metal or wood dowel, press the end aginst the pipe and stick the other end in your ear. Get somebody to turn the tap on and off and if it's the water main you will hear the hissing of mains pressure water. 

pasbury 15 Apr 2018
In reply to oldie:

Not gas as not on mains gas in our area.

pasbury 15 Apr 2018
In reply to jkarran:

It doesn’t look fresh galvanised, it’s an old pipe, apparently galvanised steel was used up to the seventies and beyond.

pasbury 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I’ll give this a try, I like a nice low tech solution. I’d thought of trying to borrow a stethoscope!

jimtitt 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

The water company should know BUT they insisted mine was plastic until they cut through it

Bellie 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

I had to dig up my drive to access a leaking stop tap. Turned out the pipe was metal too, although it was black alcathene closer to the main stop tap on the road after an earlier upgrade.  

Moley 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> An asbestos water main? How would that withstand the pressure?

I have no idea, but it was the water board (whoever they are) that told us a couple of months ago. There's planning permission in the corner of the field and they were looking at the pipes for the building.

Apparently it is very old original pipe that they sometimes still find "and quite harmless". Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Bellie 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Bellie:

I forgot to add that where i was able to connect my fix to the alacathene pipe, the old metal pipe had been just left in the ground next to it by the water board, so maybe yours is the same. Otherwise if it is in use dont be surprised if disturbing it causes a few leaks further up.  

Toerag 15 Apr 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Think yourself lucky you've only found one pipe! When I dug the footings for my garage I knew there would be a gas pipe, but not a dead gas pipe, a live water pipe, and a dead water pipe as well! All but the live gas pipe were galvanised and pretty much the same diameter. They were also very shallow (6" in one case) as there's no regulations for minimum depth on private property here.  The excavation developed a smell of gas early on before we found the live gas pipe, but there was no leak. the gas board said the gas mains pressure is so low leaks are often undetected and the gas smell will accumulate in the ground and only become apparent when disturbed. Apparently the gas will discolour the earth and 'bleach' it somewhat.

Do your utilities not have a 'dial before you dig' service like ours do over here? Only a plum would dig without consulting them.

gravy 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Toerag:

be grateful you didn't find a sewer pipe...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...