UKC

PST/Outlook issues. Any experts in the house?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all, I am having email issues at home and its driving me bonkers.

Outlook has stopped working, giving the error that that permissions are given for accessing the .pst file.  I have changed nothing so I suspect that there is corruption or some other issue that I cant explain.  Ive been into the properties to ensure that all permissions are set and they are.

Ive been online and there are lots of suggestions, mostly using the scanpst.exe utility.  Ive tried this and I still get the same message.  Ive done an Office repair too and this doesnt seem to help.  Is anyone aware of a good free tool or have any other ideas otherwise I suspect that I will be shelling out $$$ for a app that may not work.

System spec is 64bit Windows 10 and Office/Outlook 16.

Thanks very much in advance.

Richard

Post edited at 12:18
 Andy Johnson 19 Sep 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Doesn't sound like file corruption. To be on the safe side, take a backup copy of your pst files and put them somewhere safe before you do anything else.

What is the precise wording of the error message? Does it go away after rebooting the PC?

Use task manager to check that there are no Outlook processes running, and stop any that are. Then try running Outlook again. If that makes no difference then close Outlook and run it as administrator (right-click on the Outlook icon, click More, click Run as administrator. Do you still get the error then?

Post edited at 13:06

Outlook has disappeared from my PC now. MSOFT are on a remote session now. It's all gone horribly wrong.

KevinJ 19 Sep 2018

Did you get this resolved?

Had a similar issue on my old windows PC.  turned out that the fault lay with the permissions for the folder the .pst file was in.

Repairing the folder permissions resolved it.

In reply to KevinJ:

I did but it took 3 hours of remote Microsoft support to sort It. They were very good but the outlook issue exposed something a whole lot more sinister. Galf a dozen removal and clean office installs sorted it.  

Im quite IT savvy but today has made me realise how delicate and complex these things can be. 

Deadeye 19 Sep 2018

pst.... linux

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...