UKC

RIP A Bourdain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murderous_Crow 09 Jun 2018

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

The world lost another amazing person yesterday to suicide. Bourdain was a true original, who brought new cultures and new experiences of food into many people's lives. He conversed with the great and the humble in his own inimitable way. And through his brash and direct engagement with people across the world he helped to show that we're all pretty much the same, and fundamentally good. 

Rest in power A.B.

plyometrics 09 Jun 2018
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

Nicely summarised. I enjoyed his shows and presenting style. 

Whilst I appreciate suicide is tragically not uncommon in modern life, 2 high profile ones in the past week are a sobering reminder of the battles so many face with their mental health. 

MonkeyPuzzle 09 Jun 2018

If anyone has still yet to read Kitchen Confidential now's as good a time as any. Massively entertaining and a real historical snapshot of a very specific time in a very specific industry. He was a great read and a great watch. He was on my ultimate dinner guests list.

Big Ger 09 Jun 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Such sad news, RIP Chef.

Bobling 09 Jun 2018

Only read Kitchen Confidential on a UKC tip a couple of years back.  The guy had chops.  

krikoman 11 Jun 2018

I'd never heard of him, or at least he didn't ring any bells for me, but found out he was a staunch supporter of Palestinian rights, so he'll be sadly missed.

dareterr 12 Jun 2018

Kitchen Confidential was one of the first "chef" books I read and I very much enjoyed it. He had a real talent for bringing life to the world of food.

Roadrunner6 12 Jun 2018
In reply to krikoman:

I was really upset by this news.

He was such a good guy, he'd just go to any place, some very rough US towns or third world country and eat street food, some really rough looking restaurants in slums but eat some real classic dishes. 

I'd watch his Parts Unknown shows whilst grading and lesson planning as I could just watch short sections and there's no real story to follow. Very down to Earth guy and very outspoken... said he'd serve Trump Hemlock if he ever had to cook the guy a meal.

However there's now a conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton had him killed.. 

neilh 12 Jun 2018
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Parts Unknown was one of the best series on USA television . Loved it. 

Removed User 12 Jun 2018
In reply to neilh:

> Parts Unknown was one of the best series on USA television . Loved it. 

While I never saw it in the US I have many memories of watching episodes on a KLM flight back from the Far East. The one he did on Amsterdam was especially memorable. For some reason, I've been really saddened by his death. I suppose he was someone I'd really have liked to have met, he seemed like e a good guy.

Here's a nice selection of interviews and reviews: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/books/best-of-anthony-bourdain.html

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. It's to have fun in."

pneame 12 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed User:

That encouraged me to explore - just ordered his Les Halles cookbook. I must have a copy of kitchen confidential somewhere - I recall it as an eyeopener and enormous fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...