UKC

Secret House of Commons vote

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 03 Sep 2019

So should the HoC have a secret ballot for any vote on delaying Brexit or stopping a no-deal Brexit?

I think this would be a good thing and it would remove the pressure being put on Conservative MPs by being threatened with suspension and de-selection.

Whip to rebel MP conversation...

"Did you vote for the government?"

"Of course I did" - lying a la Boris

I have this morning e-mailed a Mr Bercow about whether this would be possible.

Andy Hardy 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

It's a really really crap idea, right up there with prorogation to avoid scrutiny. We (the great unwashed) must know who voted for what laws. 

OP Michael Hood 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

So you're happy with the level of arm-twisting that's going on?

Personally, I'd like it if all MPs had the guts to ignore party pressure and always vote how they believed. Parties should be able to persuade their MPs by reasoned debate rather than using force, but unfortunately that's not the culture in our parliamentary system.

Anyway, already got a response (<20 mins!!!), all votes will be through lobbies.

john arran 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I offered a compromise on here some time ago. Secret ballots in parliament but then all voting records made public the moment campaigning starts for a new election so voters can decide for themselves on the basis of their own MP's record.

MG 03 Sep 2019

> So you're happy with the level of arm-twisting that's going on?

So you are happy with major bribes being paid to MPs to vote in ways the rich prefer?

In reply to MG:

Of course not, I want all MPs to have complete integrity and honesty (ha ha), but you didn't answer my question.

Andy Hardy 03 Sep 2019

If there ballots were held in secret, how could we trust any parliamentary decision?

In reply to Andy Hardy:

I wasn't advocating it for all votes but I appreciate it might set a precedent.

Still no answer though

Andy Hardy 03 Sep 2019

Arm twisting is a side show.

Once you allow MPs more opportunities to lie, they will. There comes a point where they have to be seen to do what they said they would do, ideally in real time and in public

Mike Highbury 03 Sep 2019
In reply to john arran:

> I offered a compromise on here some time ago. Secret ballots in parliament but then all voting records made public the moment campaigning starts for a new election so voters can decide for themselves on the basis of their own MP's record.

That's so delightfully bonkers I can see other people supporting it.

MG 03 Sep 2019

No it shouldn't, clearly. Aaron Banks etc would just bribe MPs. 

NorthernGrit 03 Sep 2019

> Personally, I'd like it if all MPs had the guts to ignore party pressure and always vote how they believed.

The flip side being they could ignore constituent pressure. I understand where you're coming from but no.

balmybaldwin 04 Sep 2019
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> The flip side being they could ignore constituent pressure. I understand where you're coming from but no.

They do anyway.

My preference would be for Political parties to be outlawed, and for candidates to stand on their own policies, conscience and actions in their local areas.

Failing that, I think we need to move to proportional representation which will bring in a more compromising form of politics with coalition as the normal form of government as it moderates actions whilst still including the more extreme views

In reply to balmybaldwin:

No, that doesn't work because it doesn't take into account what's best for the country ... which always has to take precedence. We have to vote for parties that have a raft of clearly comprehensible policies that are coordinated and broadly coherent. The detail on complex issues like Brexit has to be handled by MPs and Parliament. (Basically, a 'board of experts' approach v. the vague whims of amateurs.)

baron 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Without in any way meaning to be insulting Gordon, you have been around for quite a long time.

In all your years have you ever known anything like what’s been taking place over the last few years?

In reply to baron:

No, absolutely not.

baron 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> No, absolutely not.

And it’s probably going to get worse before it gets better.

In reply to baron:

Sanity might just break through, and the whole thing just fizzle out. Or, by 'worse', I think you mean, as I do, something much worse. Boris calling the army in, or some such ... But I'm still slightly optimistic that he's fatally weakened. Jkarran I think has a far clearer idea of the various possible scenarios now than I do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...