UKC

Short term storage nr US embassy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andic 15 Sep 2012
My GF has to go to the US embassy next week to apply for a Visa. She is not allowed to carry any kind of electronic device with her, but I would like her to take her phone with her to london, so, is there any where she can drop it off for an hour or 4 near by?
 Indy 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic: Not that I could think of. Its in Mayfair isn't it? all I could suggest is ask very nicely to leave it with one of the mobile shops on Oxford street?

Just thought that I think its Vodafone that does charging stations could leave one in there?. Not sure if theres any time restrictions.
 Banned User 77 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic: You can use lockers at the train station. i did that with my lap top.. it's a pain in the arse the whole process..
 Guy Atkinson 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic:
Call them.. they must have lockers or a safe box there... i can't imagine every single person going to the us embassy has to leave their phone at home
 Indy 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Guy Atkinson:
> (In reply to andic)
> Call them.. they must have lockers or a safe box there... i can't imagine every single person going to the us embassy has to leave their phone at home

Judging by the general attitude demeanour of the 'Homeland security' people we've met I wouldn't bank on it.
In reply to Guy Atkinson: No chance... everyone does..
 pyro2312 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic: I think you can pay to store them at Gould's pharmacy nearby.
 marsbar 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic: Apparently the chemist nearby (that also does visa photos etc) will lock such things away for you for a charge.
 marsbar 15 Sep 2012
In reply to pyro2312: Posted at the same time!
In reply to marsbar: yeah the local shops have taken advantage of it.. lots of photocpying available.. photo booths.. printers etc.. its a really shit process.. I've had two visas now luckily the second was done via mail as it was a repeat of the first. just a year later..
 Trangia 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic:

Why can't she do without her phone for a day?

Until a few decades ago no one had phones and we all manage just fine.
 Aid@n 15 Sep 2012
In reply to andic:

When I went they were handing out little plastic bags for phones in the queue outside then put these in a locker and handed out a number to collect it afterwards. I was in the citizens line but I assume they do it for the other line too.
Cthulhu 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Aid@n:
> (In reply to andic)
>
> When I went they were handing out little plastic bags for phones in the queue outside then put these in a locker and handed out a number to collect it afterwards. I was in the citizens line but I assume they do it for the other line too.

Nope! Just been through the process for my Mum, and had to use the pharmacy. They're poetry clear about it on their website..

Indy 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: How much did they charge out of interest?
Cthulhu 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Indy:

I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember around a fiver...
 Aid@n 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

Seems you're right, from the website:

"PLEASE do not bring mobile phones or any electronic devices, such as Blackberries, iPods, or PDAs as they are not allowed within the Embassy. We also strongly advise that you do not bring large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages to the interview as there are no storage facilities on Embassy grounds. Please consult this list of Left-Luggage storage facilities (PDF) for possible locations to temporarily store such items."

Although when I went earlier this year I had a mobile phone (which they stored) as well as a backpack (which they searched) with a book in to read while I was in there. Maybe they've stepped up security in the past few months or maybe I just look very trustworthy.
andic 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Many thanks for that helpful reply.

She is Chinese and although her English is probably better than yours she is not very confident, having her phone would be a comfort to both of us.
She would probably manage fine anyway but what if she asked someone like you for help?
andic 16 Sep 2012
In reply to everyone else

thanks for your replies goulds it is, there is actually a 2008 article on them in the, ahem, mail
 Trangia 16 Sep 2012
In reply to andic:

A bit touchy aren't you? You didn't explain any of that in your opening post so I don't think my question was unreasonable in the circumstances. Your girlfriend apart, I think that society in general has become so obsessively reliant on mobile phones that people regard it as a major crisis when they are without them. They are a great invention and make life in the 21st century a lot more convenient, but as I said everybody managed just fine in the days before they were available, so being without one for a day is hardly the end of the world.

Anyway you have, now, answered my question so far as you and your girlfriend are concerned. Good luck with her trip to the embassy.
 Blue Straggler 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to andic)
>
> I don't think my question was unreasonable in the circumstances.
Maybe the question wasn't unreasonable but the way you presented it was unreasonably brusque, with a strong whiff of immature "point-scoring" about it. We all managed fine without UKC 15 years ago. We managed fine without motor cars 100 years ago. We managed fine without toothbrushes 600 years ago. Would you do away with all of those as well?
Cambridge-Climber 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Trangia:

> They are a great invention and make life in the 21st century a lot more convenient, but as I said everybody managed just fine in the days before they were available, so being without one for a day is hardly the end of the world.

Of course there were a lot more pay phones then and they didn't cost a fortune to use!!

Little Brew 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Cambridge-Climber:

> Of course there were a lot more pay phones then and they didn't cost a fortune to use!!

Have you tried using a pay phone in London recently!!! i was there for the Olympic rehearsal opening, forgot my phone so tried to call the Hubby who would worry if he didn't hear from me to tell him what happened.... i tried 5-6 different phones before success, and then it is £1 just to talk to say hi, then you need to put more cash in!!!! when did they go up from £0.10 for a call?!?
 Blue Straggler 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
> when did they go up from £0.10 for a call?!?

About 12 years ago a 50p minimum seemed to get introduced.

Incidentally have you ever tried calling a pager service from a payphone? Ouch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...