UKC

sloe gin and blackberry vodka update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
I've made 3 litres of each and all looking good. Froze the sloes and given the huge amount, brutally pierced them with a fork on a tray (rather than carefully, individually with a pin). The liquor is slightly cloudy, think due to fine particles of sloe due to my brutal method. Any tips to make less cloudy? Not that bothered - just for aesthetic reasons.
 The Potato 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:
i usually filter wine through a clean hankerchief. If youve got a large funnel put the cloth over it and secure with an elastic band.

I also froze my sloes and also brutally mashed them in the vodka so will be filtering them as above.
Post edited at 14:38
 cander 21 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Wonder if using a dirty hankie might add some quality flavour
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Might do the same. What you doing with the vodka infused sloes once strained? I've seen a recipe for 'slider', sloes recycled into cider for X months. I actually tried similar with some of the very mashed sloes I removed and put into cider for couple of days and was amazed at the strength of taste (thought it would've taken ages).
 Trangia 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Strain it through a muslim filter.
 The Potato 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to mick taylor)
>
> Strain it through a muslim.

not all muslims drink alcohol though...
 The Potato 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

I eat a few of them but get bored of taking the stones out, otherwise id probably make a cake with them.

Ill have to look in to slider, sounds interesting.
 Mike Conlon 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Excuse if it's a silly question but is it too late to find sloes and make some sloe gin. We routinely visit a crag late summer and there are always plenty of unripe sloes. I always mean to return later, as I said is it too late ?
 The Potato 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

not at all!
there may be some wrinkly ones but have a hunt around, the old way of doing it wasnt to pick them untill after the first frosts
 Mike Conlon 21 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Oh good thank you, I know where I am off to tomorrow then (or should I risk waiting for "first frost" ?
 cander 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

We've still got some nice plump ones in the hedge, so you should be lucky, and there's loads of brambles left for vodka.
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

The first frost issue can be by-passed by freezing yourself. I believe it is a 'helps break the skin' issue rather than a 'they are only ripe after the first frost' issue.
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In reply to cander:

Hmm, I understand the phrase 'dirty hankie' to mean 2 different different things. Not sure which one i'd prefer TBH.
 marsbar 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Last time I put the sloes out of the gin into cheap whisky with dark brown sugar. Mmmmmm.
 Philip 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

> The first frost issue can be by-passed by freezing yourself. I believe it is a 'helps break the skin' issue rather than a 'they are only ripe after the first frost' issue.

I think it might be do to with the frost triggering a breakdown of the starches to sugars.

I slash mine with a knife - they infuse quicker than the traditional pierce with a blackthorn.
 hang_about 21 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> not at all!

> there may be some wrinkly ones but have a hunt around, the old way of doing it wasnt to pick them untill after the first frosts

Normally I have to hunt reasonably hard around Sheffield but went 'dawn sarf' last weekend and the size and number of sloes was staggering. Picking them by the handful and the size of small grapes. Perfectly ripe.
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Philip:

Might be right. I've also read that adding couple drops almond essence per bottle gin works wonders, as this is the taste that eventually comes out of the sloe stones?
 AJM 21 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I saw a slerry recipe once (used sloes plus sherry) and that worked pretty well too.
 arch 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

I usually pour mine into a bottle through a tundish, with a muslin cloth attached to it. Let it settle in the bottle, then decant into another bottle, held over some White paper and stop before any remaining sediment goes into second bottle.
 Mike Conlon 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:
> (In reply to ow arm)
>
> Oh good thank you, I know where I am off to tomorrow then (or should I risk waiting for "first frost" ?

So we came home with 1.7kg of sloes. Does the quality of the original spirit make a big difference or can I have my first go of this using cheaper brands. Also, is it worth trying a vodka variant. Any particular recipes recommended ? Many thanks.
mick taylor 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I asked this before, and this article confirms what others said - get down to Aldi!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2315572/Can-tell-Aldis-10-gin-pos...
 wintertree 23 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Don't bother pricking the sloes. It makes no consistently perceptible difference if you leave it for long enough - at least to my tastes. Just invert the jars for a few minutes once a week or so for the first 3 months.

As for the blackberry vodka, when you filter it, mash the blackberries up and put them in a chocolate truffle mix (melted butter, milk chocolate and double cream, simmered on a hob. Google for sensible ratios), then refrigerate the mix, then ball the mix up into truffles (after keeping your hands in iced water as long as you can bear), roll them in cocoa and re-refirgerate. Once they're cold, dip them briefly in molten 85% cocoa chocolate to coat them and re-re-refrigerate. Perfect blackberry vodka chocolate truffles. I take hygiene up several notches when making these compared to most foods.

mick taylor 23 Oct 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Fantastic idea and will defo be doing.
 Mike-W-99 23 Oct 2014
In reply to wintertree:
Sounds good, worth trying once I've strained my elderberry vodka?
Post edited at 15:39
 cander 23 Oct 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Mrs C has been informed and is suitably enthusiastic - well done
mick taylor 23 Oct 2014
In reply to prog99:

Hows about passing fruit through a sieve (should still retain most of the alcohol, and most of the tasty juice) and making fruity alcoholic jelly?
 wintertree 23 Oct 2014
In reply to prog99:

> Sounds good, worth trying once I've strained my elderberry vodka?

If you're brave. I opened our elderberry vodka a few months ago and was distinctly disenamoured with the smell. Perhaps it has mellowed, now where did I leave it?...
 Toerag 24 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

I filter cloudy sloe gin by putting a flour sieve on top of a big jug, lining it with a layer of kitchen roll then pouring the gin through. But I don't normally bother decanting or sieving it.
 Mike-W-99 24 Oct 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Mines been in for a month now. Reckon another month at least and then strain onto sugar.
Hope it doesn't smell!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...