UKC

Vans again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 03 Jul 2017
Looking for advice about a family van as the estate car has reached its limit with multi activity holidays despite roof boxes bike racks etc.
VW transporters are out of running due to cost and possibly size, budget is around £6000-£8000 and size would have to be around the Mercedes Vito SWB.
There is no intention to use it as a camper van as my wife would refuse to spend a weekend cooped up in something the size of our bathroom with 3 kids
Trailer is not an option due to storage and impracticality of impromptu post school trips out.
Needs to be able to fit 5/7 bikes, 1 kayak, 1 paddle board, 3 kids 2 adults , occasionally 1 dog and a mother in law
All the above plus a full car camping spread and climbing,hillwalking kit, so the ability to take roof bars, boxes and bike racks is quite high.
Anyone got any experience of Mercedes or any of the fiat, Citroen, Vauxhall type vans
 Got a job rob 03 Jul 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

buy an old RAC van, make the inside what you want. then it will fit your needs.
 JR_NL 03 Jul 2017

While I have limited info on vans (very good experience with VW Crafter, but that's Mercedes Sprinter size so probably too big) I did want to say that your life/family sounds awesome!
Bellie 03 Jul 2017
I had a renault trafic LWB until recently (mine was a high roof version) I really rated it and it was a comfortable ride. I converted it to a camper van, but before that took out the bulk head and had rear and side windows fitted which made it much easier to park and made it feel less van like. It didn't cost too much to have the bonded windows done professionally, and you can find rear seats online and on the usual sites at a reasonable price.

2L diesel version, 6 speed box. I'm not saying it would be right for you, but doing the bulkhead and the windows, would be good for any van where you intend to have passengers, and makes it easier to manoeuvre if you aren't so used to doing the van thing!

I've seen roof cages for sale for these quite often so that might help matters.

I've driven a vito and a sprinter and they go really well!.

Renault trafic is same as Vauxhall vivaro, Nissan Primastar.

Plenty of wheelbase options on the Sprinters.

Post edited at 15:17
In reply to Bellie:
Cheers
 elliott92 03 Jul 2017

Your life is badass. Vans are badass. Your life will be even more badass with a badass van.

Bit you won't get a fraction of what you want in/on/around/under a van of Vito size. You're going to need seats behind the standard 3 front seats and it's surprising how much room these take up. I think it would be a struggle even in a LWB vivaro/traffic/master. They're big old beasts but sound 's like a Vauxhall movano size van is what you're after. Happy adventuring mate
 marsbar 04 Jul 2017

You will need a roof rack.

For the mother in law.

Too warm for a coat.
 radddogg 04 Jul 2017

Fiat Multipla

I don't understand why the size of a Transporter is an issue but not a SWB Vito. They're the same?
 bearman68 04 Jul 2017

Avoid German shit at that price point. I would seriously not go there due to reliability issues. Ford Transit is probably your best option - many options on roof and wheelbase. Of everything the Renault probably drives the best (Vauxhall, Nissan and Renault traffic are all the same).
For long term utter dependability the Toyota is hard to beat.
In reply to radddogg:

Didn't really mention parking is a bit of an issue were I live so the extra few centimetres a transporter has over a more compact SWB van could be all the difference between having all the panels scratched and dented and not, our parking spot would take a Vito but not a transporter (not without falling out with the neighbors and bashing the panels)
 DanH9883 04 Jul 2017

Sounds like to you need something like this:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/2012-hyundai-iload-comfort-116-2.5crdi-6-sea...

lots of building firms use vans like these as they get a bunch of guys in them to travel long distances and have all the tools in the back

Just search for crew cab vans and I reckon theres loads of choice.

You just then need to rack out the back to suit
 Jock 04 Jul 2017
In reply to DanH9883:

I've got a Caddy - it's the Maxi Life with seats & windows. Car-like enough to be a good daily driver, enough room for bikes, boats or sleeping in. I really like it.
 WaterMonkey 04 Jul 2017

Why are you discounting VW Transporters? The best van by a country mile, available for your price range, SWB or LWB. I have the LWB and no probs with using it as a car. They have a galvanised body so no rust issues, unlike the Vitos.
 Ciro 04 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Why are you discounting VW Transporters? The best van by a country mile, available for your price range, SWB or LWB. I have the LWB and no probs with using it as a car. They have a galvanised body so no rust issues, unlike the Vitos.

Whatever the price range, you will get a younger, lower mileage van if you buy almost anything else.
baron 04 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:
VW transporters rust, see the VW T4/5 forum for examples.
 bearman68 04 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Because they are unreliable lumps of rubbish - perhaps that's the reason.

Sorry, you probably love yours, but working in the trade, I have seen so so many of them so really significant issues, I would never touch one with someone else's barge pole.
 WaterMonkey 04 Jul 2017
In reply to bearman68:

> Because they are unreliable lumps of rubbish - perhaps that's the reason.

> Sorry, you probably love yours, but working in the trade, I have seen so so many of them so really significant issues, I would never touch one with someone else's barge pole.

Well mine has done 153k with no issues. Oh sorry one issue but a £45 sensor fixed it. Maybe tradesmen don't look after their vans.
 WaterMonkey 04 Jul 2017
In reply to baron:

> VW transporters rust, see the VW T4/5 forum for examples.

There's your first mistake, believing what you read on forums! T5's don't rust.
 WaterMonkey 04 Jul 2017
In reply to baron:

Well mine hasn't rusted, neither have my mates' vans and many of them spend a lot of time parked on beaches!
Note VW won't repair so clearly they think something is amiss with his claim.
 alasdair19 05 Jul 2017

I have. a Citroen dispatch not the current version. Good size (touch smaller than traffic) and the l2 version is pretty long. Good value and available with a Toyota Peugeot or fiat badge. There are eyelets for racks on the roof.
 radddogg 09 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> There's your first mistake, believing what you read on forums!

I don't believe you!
 bearman68 15 Jul 2017

OK, you might be interested to know that contrary to previously stated, the Renault Traffic 2.0 dci 115, on an 08 plate does actually have a chain drive on the cam.
As it turns out, it's the chain drive that has failed, causing damage to the valve rockers. This has occurred at 189,000 miles.
When we've stripped the engine,the bearing surfaces on the cams are in a pretty bad way - no bad enough to replace, but certainly not as good as I'd like to see. I suspect these engines need more maintenance than Renault / Vaux suggest. In addition, I suspect that timing chain life on these engines is going to be around the 150 - 160k mark.
Mind you only about £700 to fix, so not terrible terrible.
Cheers
In reply to bearman68:
Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...