UKC

What bird?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Flinticus 10:34 Tue

Woods in Pollok Park, Glasgow.

Some kind of woodpecker?

Again, apologies for pic quality. The bird flies off when I try to get closer.

In reply to Flinticus:

Looks like a Jay.

Flinticus 10:43 Tue
In reply to flatlandrich:

Thanks!

I agree, having looked at pics on google. The RSPB description also chimes with my experience 'They are shy woodland birds, rarely moving far from cover.'

Andypeak 13:02 Tue
In reply to Flinticus:

Definitely a jay

In reply to Flinticus:

Defo a Jay - you see pictures of them pink + bright blue flash - should be easy to spot - but no, they're actually amazingly camouflaged. Also they tend to be much more secretive than their nearest UK cousins - magpies. Call is a a very harsh sort of rasp - quite easy to identify once you know what it is.

Oh, and get a jay to eat out of your hand and we will all be gobsmacked - likely to be orders of magnitude more difficult than your latest crow mate.

Post edited at 14:35
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Jay .... Call is a a very harsh sort of rasp - quite easy to identify once you know what it is.

The Welsh name is "Sgrech y Coed" - the Screech in the Woods. 

McHeath 22:33 Tue
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

They also do a beautiful little musical burbling/chattering thing, very quiet compared to the racket they can otherwise make. I've only heard it once and was sure I was going to make a rare sighting, until I saw the bird sitting in a dense bush quietly burbling away to itself. 

Darron 15:43 Wed
In reply to Flinticus:

The harsh call has been mentioned but another diagnostic of the Jay is a white rump. If you see a Crow sized bird flying between Oak or Beech trees (particularly active in Autumn) and it shows a white rump then assume it's a Jay.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...