UKC

Would you accept money from the EDL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Don'tTellHim Pike 28 May 2013
Apparently Help for Heroes has said that they will not accept charitable donations from the English Defence League.

Just wonder if this is a principle too far.
 Banned User 77 28 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: Its probably a wise move.. EDL are generally lower economic status.. so unlikely great donators.. so just coming out against racism.. nice stance.. probably costs them nothing, may make members of the EDL think..
Removed User 28 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: Would H4H accept money from Al-Qaeda? If not, is it taking their principals a step too far?

The choice is theirs who they accept donations from.
 Sharp 28 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: Interesting question

At an organisational level HfH is a charity for people (soldiers) so it's aim should be towards them. They might have based their decision on whether they thought their members would be happy with it, or they could have thought that the charity's image may be negatively effected and hence donations reduced.

At an ethical level I don't know, should oil companies fund climate change projects? Should tobacco companies be allowed to donate to kids charities?If there's no publicity/benefit for the donator and no negative effect for the charity I don't see a problem with it. Consequentially it's better in the charities pockets than those donating.

It probably depends on two things, 1) whether you think charities should act with human values, and 2) whether you think on a personal level you lose integrity by accepting something from someone you fundamentally disagree with.
Removed User 28 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

yea they should have accepted it and then given the money to help rebuild a mosque that has been vandalised. that would have certainly let the edl know there feelings on the issue.
 Skyfall 28 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

Rather the other way around, I found this story rather uplifting and has lightened my mood about the whole mess we're in right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-22689552
 marsbar 29 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: "As soon as the EDL got into the town centre (Woolwich)... it became not only a lot harder for the police to try and contain anything, but also the aggression (increased) quite considerably.

"A few missiles have been thrown, glass bottles and the like. The police are trying to surround them and they've been charging them as well with batons."

Why would a respectable charity take money from an organisation that spends its time rioting and peddling hate? Not so much a principle as a sensible PR decision as well as the right thing to do. Why would they tarnish their name with the EDLs attempts to seem reasonable and respectable.
 marsbar 29 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Like it. Also liked this from some time ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21953899
 Steve John B 29 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to GrumpySod)
>
> Rather the other way around, I found this story rather uplifting and has lightened my mood about the whole mess we're in right now.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-22689552

Nice one, thanks for posting that.
ice.solo 29 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

id take it, and spend it on a f*cking sweet climbing trip to pakistan.
Clauso 29 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

Yes, I'd happily accept money from the EDL. Or you. Or anybody else. Just gimme.
 Bimble 29 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Nah, I'd buy a load of muslamic ray guns. That'd show'em.
 JamButty 29 May 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
> [...]
>
> Nice one, thanks for posting that.

Quote of the year:

"Tea, biscuits, and football are a great and typically Yorkshire combination when it comes to disarming hostile and extremist views."

Paul F 29 May 2013
In reply to JamButty:
> (In reply to Steve John B)
> [...]

> "Tea, biscuits, and football are a great and typically Yorkshire combination when it comes to disarming hostile and extremist views."

If only they came as standard on UKC threads ;0)
 Greg Brown 29 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: all $ is good $
 Thrudge 30 May 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:
It's a tricky problem. George Bernard Shaw wrote a play about it (Major Barbara). Well worth a read.
In reply to GrumpySod: Would you take money from BNFL?
 toad 31 May 2013
In reply to Dave Cumberland:
> (In reply to GrumpySod) Would you take money from BNFL?

I had a job (in conservation) sponsored by BNFL (amongst others) for a while
 Ridge 31 May 2013
In reply to Dave Cumberland:
Ignoring the fact it's now World Domination Enterprizes or some other moniker rather than BNFL, why wouldn't you? Are they chucking lumps of plutonium through mosque windowd or something?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...