UKC

Anybody use a Panasonic G80/85 ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 04 Nov 2018

As title really, considering getting something a bit more video orientated than the OMD I have at the moment so was looking at a used GH4 but a used G80 seems to be a decent option, weather sealed, IBIS but without the higher end video features of the GH4, any thoughts, anybody used both ?

The Lemming 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I love my GH4, what would you like to know?

petestack 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have the G80, but rarely shoot video. It's a very nice camera.

OP Dark-Cloud 05 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Well its going to be for primarily video so trying to decide if the GH4 with gimbal would give better results than a G80 without for handheld stuff, also are the GH4 video bells and whistles over the G range really something that the mere mortal hobbyist video maker would use ?

Toerag 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

What video improvements do the G80/85 offer over your OMD? What's holding back your video making with your OMD?

The Lemming 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Well its going to be for primarily video so trying to decide if the GH4 with gimbal would give better results than a G80 without for handheld stuff, also are the GH4 video bells and whistles over the G range really something that the mere mortal hobbyist video maker would use ?

I'm a mere mortal with limited film-making experience, learnt on-the-hoof with no formal training, and modest editing skills using punter editing software.  I am more than happy with the features that I am capable of using with my GH4.

Even though I shoot in 4K, I render my movies into 1080p for two reasons.  The first reason is that I don't have a 4K TV and the second reason is that shooting in 4K gives a few editing options.  I can zoom in on an area to give a better composition and the other is that the final movie is sharper to my eyes at least.

I don't know anything about the G80, other than just googling the 5 axis stabilisation.  I used to own a Panasonic camcorder and the 5 axis stabilisation was in my opinion very good.  However I can not comment further.

I also own a gimbal for the GH4 and this setup is buttery smooth and the perfect combination for me if I want to gun-and-run.  I may look a tit to others but I'm more than happy with the results when viewing them on my telly or Youtube.  Many say that a gimbal, is a gimbal, is a gimbal, and I am very happy with my Zhiyun Crane 2.  I bought mine a year before DJI released their Ronin S.

Spoiler.  Only consider the DJI Ronin S, if you seriously want a gimbal.  I like mine however the Ronin is more user friendly and well thought out with its construction.

The next thing that you should consider is a microphone.  May I suggest something by Rode and if your wallet can stretch to it then one that is battery powered as it will give you better sound quality.  People will put up with crap footage but they will not tolerate poor sound quality.

And last but no means least, consider some filters.  I have a 3-stop filter and 6-stop filter.  These allow me to keep my aperture as wide open as possible on sunny days and allow me to have my subject pin-sharp and my background blurred out.

I don't use the highspeed feature too often because it reduces the bit rate quality and softens the end results a bit too much for my liking.  This may be a user-error issue when I shot at night and was expecting too much from the lens and sensor.  Shooting in broad daylight gave better results.

My kit list include:

Camera

Gimbal

Filters

Rode mics

Zoom H1n sound recorder + Rode lav mic

Fluid level head + tripod

Here's a night time video shot on a tripod

youtube.com/watch?v=oRFI-INakcs&

And one shot with my Gimbal

youtube.com/watch?v=Snu0nmQ4Hvo&

Post edited at 12:31
OP Dark-Cloud 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Well the Olympus is 1080 30p so not many options for slo-mo etc, also the G80/GH4 are weather sealed which the OMD isn't, plus it hasn't got focus peaking which is a really help in video using MF

In reply to The Lemming:

Cheers, the GH4 does look a very capable thing with a Gimbal, probably doing a better job than the IBIS to be fair

HeMa 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Toerag:

My guess is mic input.... and AFAIK also for "professionals" the un-coded full bit -output from HDMI (for external recorder, like Atmos somethting) might be the thing...

Atleast the E-M10 III is missig the mic input (E-M1 II? has it, but then again with that I guess the comparison should be GH5?).

HeMa 06 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> And last but no means least, consider some filters.  I have a 3-stop filter and 6-stop filter.  These allow me to keep my aperture as wide open as possible on sunny days and allow me to have my subject pin-sharp and my background blurred out.

I'd rate filters above mic (atleast for GH4). 

You most likely will need ND filters, if you shoot outside during daylight... As you preferably want to use about the same aperture as with shooting pics (so don't use too big values, e.g. don't stop over f8  as you might start getting quality issues).

My suggestion would be to invest in a reasonable square-filter holder (actually can be had for around 20 to 30 £) and for starters a ND4 (3 stop) filter. Unless you know for a fact, that all your lenses (and the ones you will also get in the future) have the exact same filter thread... in which case a screw-on filter will end up being cheaper... The good thing with the square filter dealio, is that you can purchase different lens-adapters (that utilize the screw-thread) for a few  bucks (at least as long as the size is sub 85mm or so). And as an added bonus, if you're into shooting pics as well, graduated NDs can make some sceneries & situations tolerable.

The Lemming 06 Nov 2018
In reply to HeMa:

I'd love to stay that my circular nd filters were cheap but they ain't. I can't remember who it was on the forums who recommended Breakthrough, but they were the best investment I ever made.

I bought cheap filters at first but they produced a tint/cast that once you saw then you could not unsee again.

I highly recommend Breakthrough who are a firm, I think, in San Fransisco.

https://breakthrough.photography/

Post edited at 14:02
 The Lemming 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Cheers, the GH4 does look a very capable thing with a Gimbal, probably doing a better job than the IBIS to be fair

Check out some of the Sony offerings as well.

HeMa 06 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'd love to stay that my circular nd filters were cheap but they ain't.

And think If you’d need to buy another set cause they ain’t big enough for yer new lens. 

The Lemming 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Wonder if I could sneak this past Miss Lemming?

youtube.com/watch?v=RT2vF_GgiU8&

In reply to The Lemming:

They do look interesting but also very plasticky and the battery life seems pretty poor by all accounts

HeMa 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

it's not really made to be used on internal batteries... rather than an external one... same goes for the recording of the vid (via the USB-C directly to and external SDD).

The Lemming 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The body is supposed to be made of some sort of carbon-fiber combo so very strong.  And the battery life is poor?

This Black Magic camera can take a mains lead.  Good luck getting a GH4 to do that because I've tried.

HeMa 07 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> This Black Magic camera can take a mains lead.  Good luck getting a GH4 to do that because I've tried.

This was my idea for the GH4... albeit as I still haven't received it, how it works is yet to be tested...
https://preview.tinyurl.com/ychj5ff8 For around 10 Eur, not too shabby.

The Lemming 07 Nov 2018
In reply to HeMa:

That looks interesting. Although I have to admit that I've never had a project where the batteries died before my SD card filled first.  My generic batteries last for hours, if not all day.

HeMa 07 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

True, same here (orig and Patona something).

My main idea is that if I'm filming on cold temps (scandinavian winter, which I hope to do this winter), I can keep the USB powerbrick inside my jacket (thus warm) and have better battery life.

As I haven't shot my GH4r yet in cold temps, I don't know how it will fare (only got it this fall). But as I was ordering a bunch of other stuff, 10 quid isn't that bad... This will also be utilized for timelapse shooting, for which the normal batteries will prolly run out before the storage.

Toerag 08 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> The body is supposed to be made of some sort of carbon-fiber combo so very strong. 

You've been taken in by marketing. CF is strong in tension when made from long fibres. Camera bodies using CF invariably use very short chopped fibre 'whiskers' in a plastic matrix like modern fishing reels do. The result is certainly stiffer and stronger than plain plastic of the same dimensions, but they're not properly strong like woven carbonfibre is. Fibre reinforced composites are also not particularly strong in compression.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...