UKC

Olympus tg-6 accessories and waterproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmerrick21 06 Oct 2020

Hi, I recently purchased a Olympus tg6 as well as the macro light and lens cap. My question is, when using either of these (without and adaption rings as it's not required) is the camera still fully waterproof?

I have emailed Olympus but their response was not clear and focused on the adaption ring which is odd as it's not necessary for these accessories?

Any help would be great

Thanks

John

Blue Straggler 06 Oct 2020
In reply to jmerrick21:

You have the LG-1 Light Guide, right?

That can't be used UNDERWATER. 

From the Olympus website https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/compact/accessory/others/lg1.html

"When this accessory is attached to the camera, waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and crushproof performance does not meet Olympus in-house testing conditions."

Seems odd to me, the camera itself should still be fine especially waterproof and dustproof. I can understand shockproofing and crushproofing no longer being promised, as you now have leverage against a plastic rim. 

Is the light guide merely a diffuser, and no electrical components? I'd have thought it would be fine in water but just won't give a good result. 

OP jmerrick21 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes just a defuser. I think the camera should be fine but as you say not much use. As far as the lens cap goes (which is what I really want to use underwater) it would seem totally illogical to make a lens cap for a waterproof camera which when used makes it not waterproof. But I can't seem to confirm this.

Blue Straggler 07 Oct 2020
In reply to jmerrick21:

Why on Earth do you want to use a lens cap underwater?! 

HardenClimber 07 Oct 2020
In reply to jmerrick21:

It will still be waterproof. The difuser might not be so happy. Water will get behind the lens cap. Removing the adaptor ring doesn't affect waterproofing (I think thats what you are asking).

I did briefly have a uv filter on my tg5. the adapter lets water in so it was a right pain collecting water behind the filter. (if yoy are desperate for screw on accessories you can gunge the whole thing (to seal the gaps in the adapter ring) up with silicone I gather).

If you get muck on the lens give it a lick (that's what cavers do...)

NathanP 11 Oct 2020
In reply to jmerrick21:

I've had an Olympus TG (the older TG4)for a few years. There are two macro light options: the FD-1 (which I have) which is a simple diffuser for the built in flash and can be used underwater; and the LG-1 which seems to use fibre optics to guide the light from an LED on the camera into a ring light and can't be used underwater. This is all on the Olympus website. 

Like the others, I can't see how any of these effect the actual camera's waterproofness.

By the way, I found the decorative ring around the lens can come off and I managed to lose that underwater. Worth removing it first, I think - it is necessary to remove it anyway to properly rinse and dry the camera after use, especially important in salt water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...