UKC

25% off BMC Alpine and Ski insurance

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Team BMC 15 May 2018
premier post photo

Feeling peaky? Take BMC Alpine and Ski insurance with 25% off this summer. That works out at £141 for annual cover!

After Alpine & Ski insurance? We've got a great deal to keep you covered: 25% off all annual multi-trip policies in Europe, which works out at £141 for 12-months cover.

*Policy details: £141.80 for annual European Alpine and Ski cover up to age 69. For policies purchased between 14 May and 31 July 2018.

We’ve got you covered

All of our policies come with:

• 24-hour emergency assistance helpline

• £10 million emergency medical cover

• £100,000 search, rescue and recovery cover

• £10,000 personal accident cover

• No age loading until you're 70

Get a quote

Jim 1003 28 May 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

AAC free insurance with membership.....

Offwidth 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

Remind us of the comparative levels covered again on that. AAC is an excellent organisation but most will take out extra insurance over and above their basic cover, especially important for medical cover in the US.

Jim 1003 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Remind us of the comparative levels covered again on that. AAC is an excellent organisation but most will take out extra insurance over and above their basic cover, especially important for medical cover in the US

Most don't, its good cover, far better then BMC, can you just add to your post that you are a BMC person and interested party.

Offwidth 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003 No, its most clearly not better than the BMC insurance... from the AAC insurance advice:

"Cover is primarily for mountain rescue, it is NOT comprehensive travel insurance. You should read the AWS insurance document carefully to find out whether you need to take out additional insurance to meet all your requirements."

The biggest issue for climbers is lack of medical cover after rescue where treatment is expensive (especially the US). AAC covers only the first  €10,000

I'm an ordinary BMC member holding no position in the organisation and you failed to declare you are an idiot on the subject of insurance and seem to hate the BMC for some fathomless reason.

Post edited at 11:14
 Jim 1003 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> In reply to Jim 1003

> No, its most clearly not better than the BMC insurance... from the AAC insurance advice:

> "Cover is primarily for mountain rescue, it is NOT comprehensive travel insurance. You should read the AWS insurance document carefully to find out whether you need to take out additional insurance to meet all your requirements."

> The biggest issue for climbers is lack of medical cover after rescue where treatment is expensive (especially the US). AAC covers only the first  €10,000

> I'm an ordinary BMC member holding no position in the organisation and you failed to declare you are an idiot on the subject of insurance and seem to hate the BMC for some fathomless reason.

Actually, you seem obsessed with the BMC posting inordinate amounts of stuff on the forums about them.

The BMC cover above is not travel insurance either.

Both policies would make use of the EHIMC system in the event of the accident in Europe.

I actually went ahead and did a BMC quote, and when doing so had to go through a drop down menu. This differentiates between regions and produces different quotes, there is one quote for annual not including the US and Canada. So when you go through with the quote including the US, my quote was £613 !! Another example of why the AAC free insurance wth a £50 membership is extremely good value.

There have been posts on here about problems with BMC insurance, and it appears from my quote that the above advert is very misleading, and people will no doubt find that out for themselves if they complete a quote.

The BMC trip limit is 45 days, so to say it is annual insurance is misleading, this is also less than the AAC, and it is important to note that the AAC rescue cover does not have trip time limit, only the medical cover which is 7 or 8 weeks, cannot remember which. I am away most winters for lengthy periods so the AAC cover is amazing value at £50, the last time I got a quote from the BMC for similar winter cover it was £750!!

The AAC medical cover does have a lower limit, but if you are in Europe this is almost irrelevant, at the moment.

I also note that the BMC EXCLUDE extreme skiing, what does that mean? Some of my skiing would or could be termed extreme skiing, as it is graded extreme, sounds like a another get out clause, no such exclusion with the AAC.

Post edited at 09:38
 Offwidth 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

The AAC provide excellent rescue insurance, that was never in question. That it is far better than BMC insurance is the issue I was questioning.  If you can provide me with a top-up that is much better than the BMC policy on a like for like medical cover basis, I might start to listen to your advice again. US quotes are expensive for very good reasons: the huge cost of healthcare there for accident victims. Those of us who climb regularly in the US and want to keep the risk in our climbing but not in the insurance policy have to think about such things.

One other benefit of AAC has been insuring places that the BMC can't (when the home office put a don't travel on a destination where Austria have travel not advised, so their insurance is still valid)

Post edited at 10:09
 gooberman-hill 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

I'd love to buy BMC Insurance - I think it is a great way to support the BMC.

A few years ago I had to use the BMC Insurance policy while on a family holiday. Truly, the level of support was outstanding.

Unfortunately, I just don't believe that the policies are suitable for my family right now, so I go elsewhere. The reason is the ski cover.

I have 2 kids, both passionate mountaineers. The elder one (aged 12) is already climbing multi-pitch alpine rock routes, leading the easier pitches. And they both love to ski... and this is where the problem lies.

The BMC Insurance specifically excludes (and I quote) "Freestyle (eg: aerials, big air, halfpipe, ski-cross and slopestyle)".

Pretty much every ski resort has a snow park. Many runs (including easier runs like blues) have little jumps down the side of them. Slopestyle courses are built into the resort - you set of (4 at a time) down the run, the system automatically times you to the finish - you can even use your ski pass to get a photo downloaded to your phone. The EFS (Ecole Francais de Ski) offers kid's freestyle courses...

Pretty much every year, I try to ask the BMC for (written) confirmation that these sorts of built-in resort features would be covered in the BMC Insurance, but no-one will do that.

The chances of me being able to stop my kids using these bits of the resort is nil (they are already better skiers than I am. And I can't take the risk that one of them falls in the snow park and breaks a leg, or (worse) looses control and hits someone else, and I then find that the insurance won't cover me.

It's a shame really. I spend about £600/year on mountain/travel insurance for the family. I'd love the BMC to get a cut of that to help fund their activities. But until the ski aspects of the policy reflect the reality of what a ski resort looks like, and what my kids are going to want to do there, then it just is not going to happen. It has to be possible, I can get insurance elsewhere which covers my families mountaineering activities (currently I use DogTag).

Jim 1003 05 Jun 2018
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Don't know why you don't get the AAC insurance if your skiing in Europe....Dog Tag will just use the EHMIC system anyway, and cover the piste removal/helicopter if required...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...