UKC

Castle Upon Alun conditions

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Powley 15 Apr 2024

Hi all. Just wondering if any readers of the forums are regulars of Castle Upon Alun Quarry? Would you think it'll be in a reasonable state by the weekend? (Provided the weather stays good after today's forecast showers). 

All the best

Jon R 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Powley:

I'd say it'd be too wet still.  Doesn't dry quickly, and we've had a fair bit of rain over the last few months. Having said that, I haven't actually been this year yet.

What do you want? Limestone: try Gilwern (east especially) - drys nicely, but exposed.  Quarry that is sheltered: Tirpentwys.

hope this helps

OP Powley 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Jon R:

Thanks Jon, think I'll leave it for a bit then and see what the future weather bring. Had my eye on it for awhile as it looked like a fun spot.

Was just looking for somewhere new to try tbh; been projecting a lot the last few months in the local sun traps trying to avoid the damp.

Gilwern's a good shout. Tirpentwys will probably be rammed is my guess. Possibly Trebanog 🤔

Dunthemall 17 Apr 2024
In reply to Powley:

Take notice of the ford warnings (2nd approach), i have been there in dry weather and 30cm of water is a blocker.

In reply to Powley:

Trebanog is your best bet as sun,little or no seepage,shiny regearing and belays on the sport routes and more routes <6a. Added incentives being it's 4min walk in and not in trend at the moment so give it a go!

OP Powley 18 Apr 2024
In reply to Dunthemall:

I was wondering how deep that could get 😅 google street view doesn't give you a good idea

Post edited at 15:18
OP Powley 18 Apr 2024
In reply to freelunchprovider:

Sounds pretty good to me 🙂 looking forward to that

In reply to Powley:

Trebanog,how was it for you?

OP Powley 21 Apr 2024
In reply to freelunchprovider:

Really enjoyed it 👌 the Flat Wall had lovely lines. Will go back again this year and try and not scare myself too much on one of the Overhanging Wall routes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...