UKC

Climbing Club Freshers Trips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Noah Rachel 13 Sep 2023

Hi all, our climbing club will be running our annual start-of-year freshers trips shortly. They will commence on the final Saturday of September and run on each Saturday thereafter through to the 21st of October for a total of four trips. We intend to visit Froggatt on 30/09/2023 for trad and the Roaches lower tier on 07/10/2023 for bouldering. I will update this thread once the information on our final two locations is confirmed.

For the two aforementioned locations, we anticipate bringing a significant number of primarily novice climbers. While the very nature of these trips is disruptive, we will do our best to minimise the impact we have on other climbers, the rock and the surrounding area. For our trad Froggatt trip, we intend to split climbers into smaller groups containing a competent and experienced leader and second along with a smaller group of fresher climbers. Climbers will also be split into smaller groups for other trips we run. Throughout the trip, we will encourage good practices regarding both ethics and safety in climbing and the outdoors as a whole. Hopefully, trip participants will learn a lot!

This is by no means a post asking people to stay away from the crag but instead a courtesy to those who may want a quieter day out! If you see us at the crag by all means please come and say hello and if you do have any problems please let one of the trip leaders know. Thank you and apologises for any inconvenience caused!

Offwidth 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Noah Rachel:

Thanks for letting us know. I'm guessing you will be following good practice, and not setting up top ropes on major classics and educating the new climbers on why its so important to keep shoes clean. Plus for Froggatt, it's worth having a look at the far left (north) of Curbar if things look busy (I remember being up there when 3 Uni's with similar plans clashed and only one had posted here or on the BMC site).

Post edited at 12:22
 Mark Kemball 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Noah Rachel:

Have a great time, I still have happy memories of my MUMC freshers' meet to Froggatt in 1974. 

OP Noah Rachel 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Hi Offwidth, we intend to follow best practices, especially in those regards yes. It should be a great day of introducing new people to, and educating them about, the brilliant Peak District and trad climbing scene! 

Thank you for that information regarding other potential locations!

Cheers.

OP Noah Rachel 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thankyou Mark. Climbing and MUMC is definitely full of history!

Moacs 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Noah Rachel:

Exemplary.  Well done and have a great time.

jiminy483 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Noah Rachel:

The most important thing is having fun. Novice's love climbing innuendo, go heavy on the cracks and nuts jokes, they'll eat it up.

Moacs 13 Sep 2023
In reply to jiminy483:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm?  I agree about the fun...but not how to achieve it!

andy gittins 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Likewise Mark !

Andy Gittins

spenser 14 Sep 2023
In reply to jiminy483:

Young blokes often do, young women less so (I say this as someone who didn't really understand this until after I left uni).

Either way plenty of prospective Freshers won't find it enjoyable/ comfortable and the ones who would can most likely have a decent amount of fun without making anyone else feel uncomfortable.

I hope OP and their crowd have a good day on the rock, chat utter nonsense at each other and that a good number of them continue climbing, my fresher's day trips from Loughborough were great.

Mark Kemball 14 Sep 2023
In reply to andy gittins:

Happy days Andy, how’s life?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...