UKC

Dry Rock this weekend 1.5 hours from Bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 papashango 18 Jul 2023

Hi

Any local advice for climbing outside this weekend with the forecast? 

Thanks! 

C Witter 19 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

I'm also wondering if there is any dry rock... in the UK this weekend! What a wash out the weekends have been this month...

Post edited at 09:53
 scott titt 19 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

Swanage or Portland will be a good bet, because they are peninsulas any orographic rain falls downwind/inland.

If you look at the Swanage forecast for the weekend you will see it's a lot better than Bristol.

slawrence1001 19 Jul 2023
In reply to scott titt:

I think even Portland and Swanage are getting soaked this weekend, might be able to get away with something Saturday morning but Sunday looks horrific.

OP papashango 19 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

Thanks all. Any super steep venues that stay dry in the rain?

slawrence1001 19 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

You  might have some luck at Ban-Y-Gor, depends on how heavy the rain is and the wind direction. Haven't been there in the rain myself but have talked to others who have said it can stay decently dry in certain parts.

OP papashango 20 Jul 2023
In reply to slawrence1001:

Thanks!

Ciro 20 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

Forecast on BBC for Brean is "Light rain showers and a moderate breeze"

It dries very quickly with a breeze between showers, and rain does often seem to be drawn past the crag out in the channel, so I've had pretty good days there with that sort of forecast.

Kevster 20 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

Portland and Swanage are good on the whole for microclimates. But both are rubbish when it does rain as they're mostly vertical and few routes or sectors are overhanging enough at the top to be perma dry. And the local wall is not very local if you come over the Ridgeway and can't see Portland for rain.  

And on top of this. It is the first weekend of the summer holidays. Traffic may make 1.5 hrs a hopeful timescale. 

In reply to Ciro:

Brean will be more than 1.5 hours from Bristol this weekend.

bpmclimb 21 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

> Thanks all. Any super steep venues that stay dry in the rain?

UCR

Cheese Monkey 21 Jul 2023
In reply to Kevster:

You can do Portland in 90min from Bristol, I've always found an alpine start is more suitable for such shenanigans mind

badgerjockey 22 Jul 2023
In reply to papashango:

The Yat stays remarkably dry in summer rain and is steep in many places… It shat it down Friday and Saturday last weekend and everything was bone dry on the Sunday. I’ll be going tomorrow. 

Post edited at 10:01
OP papashango 22 Jul 2023
In reply to badgerjockey:

Very interesting, might give it a go tomorrow then. Thanks for the info! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...