UKC

How dry does Ban y Gor stay in the rain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 25 Jul 2020

Hi

I'm thinking of going to Ban y Gor today/ tomorrow and wondered how dry it stays in the rain? Particularly interested in the steep bits around "almost me". 

Cheers for your help

In reply to James Oswald:

I've decided against exactly the same plan based on the forecast, if that helps. 

It might be ok. Does stay dry in rain if the wind direction is on your side so if you're really keen give it a go. Depends how far you're travelling I guess but I'm waiting for a better day. 

Bet there'll be a send train down there now I've said that

Phippy 25 Jul 2020

Ha I was wondering the same thing on Friday, decided not to risk it and heading to sunny sportland tomorrow (positive thinking and all!) 

My Wye valley research did conclude that Wyndcliff was the fastest drying and most likely chance of a climb. I never did get any response iro Ban-y-gor though so will be interested in seeing if it’s worth noting for future reference. 

Post edited at 09:36
 nikoid 25 Jul 2020

It will probably be dry on most routes by Sunday, but it won't be at its best. The trees can trap humidity after rain which obviously doesn't help. I usually go to ByG in a heatwave when it is too hot to climb elsewhere.

GGD 25 Jul 2020

Bits of it does and others don't bit of a suck it and see game really. But yes there should be parts which are completely dry.

Anyone down there today? How wet did it get? Radar picture looks like Bristol got hosed but the worst of it might have missed Chepstow???

Post edited at 21:18
 PaulTclimbing 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I'm guessing it rained there. I decided between Wyndcliff Quarry and Gilwern based on the radar. It rained at Gilwern for an hour but climbing was just possible in the given wind direction.  So an afternoon of climbing was done.  A place that does stay dry in misty rain is the Unter Ledge/surrealist top pitch area of Go Wall righthand side with a variety of climbs e1/2's and 7b's etc   It may not be worth a long drive though.

In reply to PaulTclimbing:

It was mint on Sunday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...