UKC

Knee injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dmatth 28 Feb 2023

Hello 

Had knee discomfort since last year and recently diagnosed with degenerative tear of the meniscus. Have been doing strenthening exercises of knee in gym as recommended by physio for a few weeks with cycling and walking also but no climbing. Just wondering other people's experience and what they did. What you did regarding climbing.

Dave

Clwyd Chris 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

How old are you ? 

OP dmatth 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

Hello 

Overv 60 years 

Andy Chubb 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

I had a ‘tidy up’ of my right meniscus a couple of years ago, and a debridement, which I think means scraping out the arthritic mush, and it’s been 100% fine. Climbed, cycled, walked the Pennine Way, no problem at all. Had the left one done last December and have probably pushed on a bit too hard. A healing meniscus doesnt like the twisting involved in climbing or walking on uneven ground, but I’m confident all will be well in a few more weeks. It better be as I’m off skiing next week!
Depending on your financial means, get it sorted asap (ie privately). It potentially adds years to pain free activity, which you cant easily put a value on. Good luck and do the physio

SteveJC94 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

I've torn both the Lateral and medial meniscus in my right knee from two separate knee injuries. I had a repair on the medial side and a meniscectomy (meniscus removal) on the lateral side. The only reason I had the meniscus op is that I needed an ACL reconstruction, which was ruptured at the same time as the injury to the medial meniscus.

My advice would be to find a good physio and treat it conservatively. Meniscus surgery has big correlation with early onset arthritis so the advice I've heard is unless you need a knee operation anyway, leave it alone.

Stretching, strength & conditioning and lots of cycling has really helped mine to recover and I'm now skiing as well and climbing as hard as ever, though I can feel a bit of an ache after a big day on the hill. 

kaiser 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

Possibly consider a hyaluronic acid injection at the start of the season

Clwyd Chris 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

I had something similar on my left knee, I had private health insurance  with work at the time  so went for a tidy up, touch wood been all right since, had it done when I was 50 

jethro kiernan 28 Feb 2023
In reply to dmatth:

Just had a physio consultation today on my knee, so starting on the exercise regime, the bike is great so ramping that up, I was advised I could start running but to stick to beach/field to start with before moving onto trail.

nniff 01 Mar 2023
In reply to dmatth:

I've had the meniscus (menisci) tidied up on my left knee twice.  I wasn't going to be doing much without those interventions.  I gave up running after the second one, and started cycling instead.  I use walking poles in the hills.  KT Tape is witchcraft, but a strip under my kneecap that curls up on the inside (the occasionally sore side) works wonders.  Don't know why, but I don't need to - it just does.

Post edited at 08:24
OP dmatth 01 Mar 2023
In reply to dmatth:

Thank you for all your replies and advice much appreciated.

Dave 

Post edited at 16:15
 Kevster 01 Mar 2023
In reply to dmatth:

I had a tear, then surgery. My knee locked at 90degrees which prompted the surgery. 

Took 6 months to get back climbing to the same level I was before the injury. 

Gave up bouldering and just rope climbed to try and extend my knee life before a replacement. 

I'm approx 10 yes later on now. I know my knee isn't going to last forever. But it's still ok. 

I'm 46 btw. 

I believe recovery and what rehab you do is important with knee injury. Keep up the motivation!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...