UKC

Slacklining and Balance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 07 Oct 2020

How useful is slacklining as a way to improve balance, from a climbing perspective?  My vague suspicions are probably not much, but I'm more than prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

AndrewSmith45 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> How useful is slacklining as a way to improve balance, from a climbing perspective?  My vague suspicions are probably not much, but I'm more than prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

Slack lines are a bit naff these days...if you want to look cool you really need to be slack lining and juggling fire sticks. It will improve your balance, your concentration and help you overcome fear.

Andy Gamisou 07 Oct 2020
In reply to AndrewSmith45:

> Slack lines are a bit naff these days...if you want to look cool you really need to be slack lining and juggling fire sticks.

Well, I think my days of attempting to look cool are over tbh.

> It will improve your balance, your concentration and help you overcome fear.

Are you talking from experience here?  If not, then probably not especially useful input.  If you are talking from experience, then I'm thinking (based on a quick look at your profile) it hasn't really worked for you!

I know that sounds a bit snarky, but wth.

Post edited at 05:55
 John Kelly 07 Oct 2020

Not sure about the climbing but it's really helpful for descending rough ground

Baron Weasel 07 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

> Not sure about the climbing but it's really helpful for descending rough ground

Agreed. I used to do a lot and I think the skill has prevented me going for a Burton on quite a few occasions. 

Peter Rhodes 07 Oct 2020

It teaches a very specific balance, great for walking slacklines, and in a pinch chains, tennis nets and wobbly fences! The balance aspect is hard to transfer to walking bars and railings even, these require different inputs and have different feedback.

What it does teach is physical awareness, focus and calmness under duress, skills which transfer much more easily into all aspects of life if you choose to.

It's fun, it doesn't hurt and it's cheap. Kids love it and everyone can try. Get to it.

jack89 07 Oct 2020

I'd say a bit. I think it is useful for improving coordination, motor control and activating muscles in combinations and ways you don't normally do, so probably better for general conditioning rather than a specific tool for transferrable balance. 

lithos 07 Oct 2020
In reply to AndrewSmith45:

fire clubs not sticks, if you want to look cool  :-0

It's mildly , and I mean mildly entertaining for half an hour.

I think owning a slackline works more on your perceived coolness than anything else .

Owning a beanie hat and yak hair sweater also add to this coolness expanding pastime.

profitofdoom 07 Oct 2020
In reply to lithos:

> fire clubs not sticks, if you want to look cool  :-0

Right, and needless to say also blindfolded and with a small child on your back

Disclaimer. This is a joke 

lithos 07 Oct 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

seen blindfolded before (not jugging at same time thats hard esp on slackline). 2 people on same slackline is very entertaining

(disclaimer i cant even walk it anymore)

Ciro 07 Oct 2020

> How useful is slacklining as a way to improve balance, from a climbing perspective?  My vague suspicions are probably not much, but I'm more than prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

I'd say there are better ways to improve specifically your balance for climbing (e.g. climbing balancy stuff!), but in terms of improving your overall balance and core stability it's a great exercise. Skills line standing up from sitting on the line takes flexibility, strength and control, all of which will improve/maintain your overall athletic ability whole you work on the climbing specific traits elsewhere. 

So, lots of fun, and a worthwhile endeavour, even if it doesn't translate directly to great strides in your climbing.

mark s 07 Oct 2020

I can only say how it relates to my climbing. I tried it and couldn't barely get off the ground. I did OK at hard slabs so I vote for it having no relevance to slab climbing.  I'm pretty sure you can walk in a straight line so your balance is OK for climbing. 

Neston Climber 07 Oct 2020

As someone who had awful balance and took ages to be able to stand on a slackline I think practice has helped with learning core control and balance - its difficult to put in the time on this specific skill when just climbing routes, certainly compared to the hours you can easily spend on a slack line. Its a great activity when you have arm/hand injuries but still want to hang around with others who are climbing/bouldering. 

artif 07 Oct 2020

I have one set up in the garden, allegedly bought for my son and his friends. Its fun but not sure if it helps with climbing, I sometimes take it with me on a bike ride through the woods, set it up and have a go, more as an excuse to just sit and enjoy the scenery. Throwing axes and juggling are also a bit of fun, not sure I'd combine them at my level though.

The world seems to have forgotten about fun recently.

Rant warning -

Why is everything "training" these days, most of my colleagues at work are "training" all the time, but never seem to compete at anything, other than bragging about the amount of hours spent in the gym or miles run/cycled.

Rant over and breathe

AndrewSmith45 07 Oct 2020

> Well, I think my days of attempting to look cool are over tbh.

> Are you talking from experience here?  If not, then probably not especially useful input.  If you are talking from experience, then I'm thinking (based on a quick look at your profile) it hasn't really worked for you!

> I know that sounds a bit snarky, but wth.

Apologies, it was a joke. I've spent many an hour slack lining on Ton Sai Beach. Never made it to the other side. I've also seen the locals slack lining whilst juggling fire sticks. I also once saw a European tourist swinging fire bobs on terra firma as part of a 'fire show' unwittingly set her hair on fire. I laughed so <bleep>ing loud. That's not a joke that's true. Anyway I think slacklining will be good for your core strength, it's fun and it makes you look cool.

Timmd 07 Oct 2020

I find it hard to see how anything which involves balancing could be anything but useful for balance while climbing? Not very, is still probably more useful than 'not at all'. 

It's a little bit like Team Sky and incremental gains, I guess...

Post edited at 23:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...