UKC

Sore palm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 04 Jan 2021

I've a new finger/hand injury (that's "new" as in I've not had this one before)- I'm not sure what I've hurt and (with the usual caveats that this is an online forum and not a doctor or physio) I wondered if someone could identify it.

I have a very sore patch on or between the metacarpals of the index and middle finger about one cm in from the edge of the palm.

I noticed this about an hour after a session of limit bouldering when placing my palm down on a hard surface.  It doesn't seem to hurt to hang from (as in finger board) but it bloody hurts to grab a banister rail hard and aches if I extend my index finger to it's full extent. Apart from this local tenderness it's generally not painful but when I (accidentally) find the right spot it is very painful. 

I can't tell if it is tender from direct pressure or the pressure between the metacarpals. Pressure on the metacarpals themselves is mildly unpleasant but not super painful.

I wasn't aware at the time I'd injured anything and there was nothing about the problems I climbed to particularly stress or bruise this part of my hand.

I've no idea what's in my palm - anyone got a clue as to what I've hurt?

David Alcock 04 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

You know the replies you'll get. 

tjdodd 04 Jan 2021
In reply to David Alcock:

Ok, I'll start...

Try sticking to bouldering when bouldering and not mixing with other activities.  If nothing else you will avoid getting arrested and might also prevent the sore palm.

OP gravy 04 Jan 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Very drole

Toerag 05 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

You're supposed to change hands at 99!

Removed User 05 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

I do not know the name but lumps can occur on the tendons, they can be cleaned off with keyhole surgery. Hope that helps.  I had carpel tunnel syndrome 22 years back and it took forever to get the NHS to even take the discomfort/pain seriously.  

Pedro50 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

I think that you are alluding to Dupuytren's contracture which would normally take years of overuse to set in. It doesn't sound like that to me (no medical expertise). I have it in one little finger but it causes few problems unless I slap for a jug, which makes me wince.

OP gravy 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

I don't think it is a chronic condition - it is an injury - it's just a new one on me and I don't actually know what I've injured so I'm curious. 

There is definitely no lump or swelling and unless I accidentally press my palm flat (or prod it in the right spot) it doesn't hurt (but if I do it is bloody painful).  It's quite odd...

Since no one has popped up to say "it sounds like X" (well apart from wanking) I guess it's just one of those things and it will go away.

Martin Haworth 05 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

Definitely doesn’t sound like Dupuytrens as this is a chronic condition and normally starts from the little finger side.

Depending exactly where it is could be a muscle  injury but not particularly likely, or could be a bruise. If its either of these it will resolve on its own in days.

Most likely ligament or tendon damage, in which case will take longer to resolve and should respond well to light exercise.

Removed User 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Dupuytren's Contracture, I had 2 friends with that but could not remember it's name.   Maggie Thatcher also had it so years of pen pushing?...  so no not that 

In reply to gravy:

> Since no one has popped up to say "it sounds like X" (well apart from wanking) I guess it's just one of those things and it will go away.

Ha ha I think I have the same! I didn’t respond since I don’t really know what it is other than think it’s probably a bruising of the tendon to the index finger.

Mine started last week an hour or two after a mtb session. The painful spot now is just on the edge of the bone. It is where it would have been taking the pressure and vibration from the handlebar grip. It felt for a few days to be between the fingers though. 

Felt much better after 3/4 days rest and now I barely notice it except if I put direct pressure on the tendon. Expecting another few days and it will be back to normal.

aostaman 05 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

I'd make a little video on your phone describe the pain, show where it is, what causes it. Then send it to your doctor/group surgery. I've had great success with this (not hand pain), but in the surgery, they'll put it to the doctor with the most appropriate experience and should give you a phone/video appointment.

It's better than the 'old way'. It gets triaged and gets the best response. 

Don't forget to explain what 'bouldering'/fingerboards etc are about.

Best of luck.

In fact, it might be interesting to feedback on your experience. You are of course completely free to ignore that last sentence, it's your injury.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...