UKC

Southern sandstone - Eridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nomisb 24 May 2020

Just a quick note on southern sandstone, if the car parks are full please don't block roads or access to houses. There's a bit of a situation brewing at eridge. The road is a private one with access only to the Sussex wildlife trust car park, moving the private road sign just means that you are making the situation worse and not being clever. The sign was put in at the narrowest point to allow for access by ambulance and fire engine and not to personally stop you from climbing... Parking on someone's front garden is bang out of order. 

I appreciate its not just climbers but we are very visible and will therefore be an easy target. 

Bob Moulton 25 May 2020
In reply to nomisb:

Not only are climbers more visable, but so is chalk, particularly its overuse! Unfortunately the SWT Reserves Manger, with whom we had a good working relationship with, has just left her job, She was very concerned with chalk being used in excess. I have emailed her replacement but have yet to receive a reply. Access is a sensitive issue at Eridge; some years ago one of the SWT trustees tried to get climbing stopped but fortunately that didn't happen. 

One further point is the SWT/BMC sign below Sandstorm, saying don't use chalk in this area, has broken off, but this advice is still very important.

td72 27 May 2020
In reply to Bob Moulton:Can chalk not just be banned at Eridge, on overhung walls like barrel wall even when chalk is used in moderation if lots of people are getting on a problem then it will build up and not get washed off. We have already lost access to so many other outcrops down here that it seems silly to do anything that may endanger access. I'm sure that if people really want to climb at Eridge then they can either use liquid chalk or go without! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...