UKC

Stone Farm Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MaxDickson 28 May 2020

I’m quite new to climbing, and completely new to outdoor climbing. I was thinking of maybe going to Stone Farm Rocks soon, as it seems to be good for beginners. Would I need a mat for bouldering? It might be a stupid question but I’m completely new to outdoor climbing so I really have no idea.

Sorry if I’m just being completely dense.

rjwlkr 28 May 2020
In reply to MaxDickson:

Completely reasonable question. Yes you do want a bouldering mat. Your ankles and the ground will thank you.

If you're going to Stone Farm at the minute be aware that it'll be reasonably busy and pay attention to the parking guidance in this article: https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2020/05/climbing_hotspots_to_avoid_in_engla...

The sandstone is also pretty soft so I'd also check out the southern sandstone guidance to avoid damaging it. (Loosely: don't climb in dirty shoes, don't use a brush, keep chalk to a minimum)

//www.southernsandstoneclimbs.co.uk/p/code-of-practice.html?m=1

Have fun!

MaxDickson 28 May 2020

Thanks a lot man. I’ll be sure to be very careful to adhere to the regulations etc. Would you have any recommendations for mats by any chance?

Oceanrower 28 May 2020
In reply to MaxDickson:

> Thanks a lot man. I’ll be sure to be very careful to adhere to the regulations etc. Would you have any recommendations for mats by any chance?

The biggest, fattest, softest one you can afford...

deacondeacon 28 May 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Definitely not the softest one. Get the firmest one. 

rjwlkr 28 May 2020
In reply to MaxDickson:

Pretty much what oceanrower says (though yeah, not soft, it should be surprisingly firm). Depends how much you want to spend, how you want to store it (taco style like being stored opened out) and how you'll going to transport it (i.e. will it fit in your car).

The UKC group test is a pretty handy guide: www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/bouldering_mats/mid-sized_bouldering_mats-10017

Fwiw I have the moon warrior pad, which I'm very pleased with, but I've used a few and never been wildly unhappy.

Post edited at 23:02
 Dell 29 May 2020
In reply to MaxDickson:

The price of a decent mat will buy you a basic harness and a top rope. (but not the skills to use them) ((or a belay partner))

Try and get an idea of what kind of climbing you want to get into before splashing out. 

ZacMoss 30 May 2020
In reply to MaxDickson:

I also have a Moon Warrior pad and like it very much. Make sure the pad you're thinking of buying will fit in your car! The Warrior will fit on the back seats of my hatchback without folding them down which is very handy for a quick bouldering excursion. I had considered buying the Saturn (next size up) but while it gets you slightly more ground coverage, it is a stonking great big pad and might be a bit of a faff to bring anywhere, if I had a smaller car I might struggle to fit it in.

Pads are expensive but last a while. There's a lot of choice out there, but they're a bit like climbing shoes - they're all probably fine, they just do different things. If you don't think you're going to do much outdoor bouldering then don't feel like you have to splash out on a £200+ pad, get something that will do the job and you're grand.

In reply to MaxDickson:

I'd recommend the DMM Highball.  Good mat for a good price.  I've got two of them I was so impressed!  My alpkit one hasn't worn nearly as well as the DMM ones.  Also easy to carry two DMM Highballs by looping the shoulder straps of the second one over the first without having to faff with strapping them together.

Make sure it fits in your car!

Enjoy

Post edited at 14:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...