UKC

Thirlmere Thackmell access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Dear All,
Please use it or lose it.
As a result of the wonderful care and management of the area by united utilities, the whole place is grossly neglected and being taken over by jungle.

If anyone can be bothered, please take a stick or grasshook/scythe to keep the path clear if you are out for a wander.

Path starts by the road, 50 paces south of the Launchy ghyll bridge, path zigzags up south side of ghyll over a couple of fallen trees to the famous perched boulder, from where a full view of the crag and approach is possible. Grid ref: 309156
Path still marked on 2½ inch OS map (streetmap.co.uk)
Erratic boulder pictured here: https://www.francisfrith.com/thirlmere

Great little crag, super routes, obviously a dry weather place as for many others. The approach needs cleared.

If the path is not kept clear we will lose access and all that will be left is bracken, jungle, ticks, no climbing. The old path up the north side of the ghyll is covered by windblown trees.

Perhaps access people at FRCC and BMC could persuade UU to do some clearing in this area. They seem to have limitless amounts of money to spend on some things, yet leave the place overtaken by bracken and looking a mess.

DC

petegunn 01 Aug 2021
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Shame that the forestry now charge for parking all along that road. I know there are some free laybys but puts a lot of locals off going and therefore looking after the access paths.

Post edited at 10:58
 RobAJones 01 Aug 2021
In reply to petegunn:

> Shame that the forestry now charge for parking all along that road. I know there are some free laybys but puts a lot of locals off going and therefore looking after the access paths.

I think you are being a bit harsh on United Utilities regarding the parking  I haven't been for a couple of weeks but the machine at Armboth has been out of action all year, the one at the bottom of Castle Rock has been removed, someone  cleans the toilets (everyday?) and if you agreed to do a bit of litter picking for them they were giving out free permits at the start of the year. 

In reply to petegunn:

> Shame that the forestry now charge for parking all along that road. I know there are some free laybys but puts a lot of locals off going and therefore looking after the access paths.

If the indigenous aborigines are put off, that is a very sad situation on their home ground.

DC

In reply to RobAJones:

>  and if you agreed to do a bit of litter picking for them they were giving out free permits at the start of the year. 

Lots of people collect litter, more than UU do. What right have they got to charge local people?

DC

Bulls Crack 01 Aug 2021

Because they own the land the car-parking is on?  Or do you think they should give local people a waiver? 

RobAJones 02 Aug 2021

> What right have they got to charge local people?

About the same as Allerdale Council and NT as they sometimes provide toilets as well. 

Slightly more than private landowners as they don't.

Slightly less than the forestry commission at Whinlatter as car parking fees help with the mbike trails, although this doesn't stop some locals (and others) feeling they are entitled to destroy the verge and use the facilities without paying. 

Ridge 02 Aug 2021

> If the indigenous aborigines are put off, that is a very sad situation on their home ground.

I was worried that you forgot about the indigenous people in your OP...

wercat 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Because they own the land the car-parking is on?  Or do you think they should give local people a waiver? 

yes, as we pay UU for our water

Lankyman 03 Aug 2021
In reply to wercat:

> yes, as we pay UU for our water

So do I and I live miles away. Can I get free parking?

RobAJones 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> So do I and I live miles away. Can I get free parking?

No charge today, for locals or offcommers. 

Bulls Crack 04 Aug 2021
In reply to wercat:

> yes, as we pay UU for our water

So Brummies can go and park where they like in the Elan Valley? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...