UKC

Travel/Rock insurance for non UK resident.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timothyekins 07 Nov 2019

Hi, I hold a British passport etc but am currently not registered as living in the UK therefore excluded from BMC travel/rock insurance. Im off on a climbing trip to Jordan and looking for cover. Any ideas? 

profitofdoom 07 Nov 2019
In reply to timothyekins:

> Hi, I hold a British passport etc but am currently not registered as living in the UK therefore excluded from BMC travel/rock insurance. Im off on a climbing trip to Jordan and looking for cover. Any ideas? 

Can you get insurance in the country you now reside in?

McHeath 07 Nov 2019

If you're still in Bamberg and registered at an address there, then join the DAV (Deutscher Alpenverein). Their insurance covers you worldwide; exempt are only commercially organised trips and expeditions.

Here's the relevant page on their website:

https://www.alpenverein.de/bergsport/sicherheit/unfallstatistik/unfallmeldu...

Post edited at 19:20

https://www.hccmis.com/atlas-travel-insurance/

Covers mountaineering up to 4500m. No residency requirements

Post edited at 19:27
 MB42 08 Nov 2019

Ran into this problem a few years ago and the UK section of the Austrian Alpine Club covered you regardless of home address and includes the medical/expedition insurance part. I'd double check though as that was a while ago.

HeMa 08 Nov 2019
In reply to MB42:

Still through for OeAV in general. So afaik you can select any sektion you wish (or not pick anythig, like I did and then you end up somewhere) and it does not matter where you live (So I'm Sektion Salzburg, and I live in Finland).

The main benefits from each sektion come from the huts they maintain. So you'll get even lower price on the ones maintened by your sektion. And naturally they have other services as well, but for a foreigner those are not that relevant.

Post edited at 08:39
 Frank R. 08 Nov 2019

Yep, OeAV (AAC) would be a good idea (it's open to anybody*) and should get you covered nicely apart from such things as third-party liability (which is only valid for Europe, with Jordan might or might not be part of depending on the fine print). I would suggest to get the premium cover for your trip, since the basic OeAV membership has only €10,000 medical cover (it's mainly for EU, where your EU EHS card usually applies) with the premium up to €500,000 I think.

As HeMa stated, you will apparently end up in Sektion Salzburg if you register through the main OeAV website (although there are some national resellers and branches that have their own branch or agreement with different Austrian branch, in the end, it's all the same).

DAV could also be an option.

*residents of the UK/Flanders need to apply via their respective AAC branch, which presumably does not concern you since your residence is elsewhere

Post edited at 11:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...