UKC

Two climbers found dead in Yosemite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jenn 21 Oct 2004
Looks like it's snowing in America...

http://us.cnn.com/2004/US/10/20/missing.hikers.ap/index.html

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, California (AP) -- Two Japanese climbers were found dead Wednesday in Yosemite National Park, dangling from a 3,200-foot sheer climbing face in a snowstorm.

Rescuers began search efforts Tuesday after seeing the stranded party on El Capitan, a granite monolith in the Yosemite Valley that is among the world's best-known rock climbing spots. The couple was not moving at the time.

Heavy snow and winds initially made searching with a helicopter impossible, so a rescue team began an 11-mile hike in driving snow and extreme wind.

A break in the weather Wednesday allowed the helicopter to fly close to the party and rescuers determined that the two climbers were dead, according to park rangers.

The Sierra Nevada range has been hit this week with an unusually early blizzard, and the heavy snow and high wind were hampering efforts to rescue at least 10 stranded hikers elsewhere in the rugged mountains.

The blizzard raged at higher elevations through much of Wednesday, frustrating rescuers who labored against 4-foot-deep snow and 50 mph winds to reach the areas where the hikers were thought to be, at elevations from 8,000 to close to 10,000 feet.

"It's miserable," said Erica Stuart, spokeswoman for the Madera County Sheriff's Department.

The stranded hikers included two groups of experienced backpackers along with a couple from San Luis Obispo County who apparently set out for a day hike.

Rescue workers believe the hikers can survive if they find shelter and wait for the storm to pass. Storm clouds were expected to clear Thursday night, when temperatures were expected to plunge to zero through much of the central Sierra.

"It certainly is a bona fide blizzard condition," said Mark Burger, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

The missing couple was believed to have started on a two- to three-mile hike in the Sierra National Forest east of Fresno when they were caught in the storm, said Lt. Toby Rien of the Fresno County Sheriff's Department.

He said rescuers were fighting conditions they described as "whiteout, zero visibility."

Also in Sierra National Forest, four members of a Santa Cruz County winemaking family were reported missing Sunday after they failed to return from a two-day hike at a 9,400-foot-elevation lake northeast of Fresno.

In a cabin at Shaver Lake near the sheriff's command post, several members of the family were awaiting word on their relatives, ages 16 to 47.

"It seems foolish to undertake this (hike). But in all fairness, they didn't know this storm was coming," said Rita Bargetto, sister of one of the missing men. "We just hope and pray they were smart enough to know they shouldn't have moved when the snow came."

Early Tuesday, the Madera County Sheriff's Department launched a search for four men from the San Francisco area who were believed to be stranded in the Ansel Adams Wilderness near the southern boundary of Yosemite National Park. The men had apparently changed the itinerary they left with family members, setting back rescue efforts.

Family members said the men, ranging in age from 45 to 75, have experience camping in the snow. Authorities arranged for a military helicopter from Mather Air Force Base to search for the men once the weather breaks.
pete theobald 21 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:

Does anyone else have info on this. I've got friends out there at the moment (should be back in next few days but not sure).

P
crikeyorikey 21 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:

The men had apparently changed the itinerary they left with family members, setting back rescue efforts

hopefully they'll learn from that mistake if they survive
OP Jenn 21 Oct 2004
In reply to pete theobald:

Sorry - I just read this on CNN

Maybe try rockclimbing.com?
In reply to pete theobald:

There is a thread running on the SuperTopo web site with some dramatic pictures of snow in the valley and the helicopter hovering infront of El Cap http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?m=45362&f=0&b=0

Also, there seems to be several teams missing from the weekend in the Sierra Back Country. There was 10-16 ins forecast on Sunday night and the Tioga Pass road was closed. Lots more snow since then. Most other east-west routes are closed now. More here: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/10/21/FOUND21.TMP

Brief lull right now but more bad stuff on the way apparently.
 Michael Ryan 21 Oct 2004
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

Hmmmm....just hailing where I am...wet, cold and miserable. Reminds me of the UK.

Snow in the Adirondacks though. Verdy cold at night.

Ice forming Andy, your bed is ready!

Micksickle
 Michael Ryan 21 Oct 2004

Wooooaaaahhhh Dude. Nice shot.

Now where's the one of the Apple shop.

M
In reply to Mick Ryan:
> (In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC)
>
> Wooooaaaahhhh Dude. Nice shot.
>
> Now where's the one of the Apple shop.
>

Yes, lets get our priorities right http://www.apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco/gallery2.html

Seems three of the groups lost in the Sierra’s have been found. One still out there.
 Dave C 21 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:
I see Leo Houlding was on El Cap attempting a free route. Seems he and his partners retreated before the weather really closed in according to someone on the forum on Supertopo.com.
pete theobald 22 Oct 2004
> (In reply to pete theobald)
>
> There is a thread running on the SuperTopo web site with some dramatic pictures of snow in the valley and the helicopter hovering infront of El Cap http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?m=45362&f=0&b=0

its alright. He got back last week but hadn't been out for a bit. Sounds scary there though.

P
 Moacs 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:

Jenn

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I got back from Yosemite on Weds this week. (I had mentioned the trip to some folks I climbed with off here the week before - I'm fine) and can give somelimited info on the weather:

We were bivvied on the valley rim on Sunday night (to do Lost Arrow in the morning), when it came on to rain heavily. We retreated to the valley and found that the forecast was rain and sub-zero until Thursday. As we had to fly home Tues, we packed up and went to the beach. The cloud was clamped down to the valley floor and some roads and trails were shut as we left.

The Nose was well-loaded throughout our stay, and there were parties on all ledges bar Sickle on Sunday pm. No one seems to pack storm gear - we'd had continuous 80 degree, clear, dry weather for as long as anyone could remember. We couldn't see anyone on El Cap as we left 'cos of the cloud, but the night before we'd seen headtorches all the way up the Nose and on North America wall - plenty of folk with over a day's climbing left to do. The high sierra (Toulumne etc) starts at 8500' so is lots chillier. We came down from there on the Friday cos it was getting cold.

Sounds like a total tragedy. Anyone going out should read the accident analysis included in all the Supertopo guides and really pay attention; it's sobering.

Amazing, beautiful, savage place; not one to forget to respect the hazards.

John
 Doug 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Moacs:
from the Guardian
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) - Rangers rappelled down Yosemite's most forbidding peak and then carefully climbed back up the sheer 3,200-foot face of the snowy mountain, rescuing two climbers and carrying the bodies of two others on their backs.

The dramatic rescue Thursday on El Capitan came as other teams of park rangers airlifted out nearly two dozen other hikers and climbers stranded by an early winter storm, which brought whiteout conditions and 50 mph wind gusts as it dumped several feet of snow across the Sierra Nevada.
see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-4568685,00.html
for the rest
 Moacs 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Moacs:

The link on analysis of previous mistakes:

http://www.bluebison.net/yosar/alive.htm

John
 kevin stephens 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:
> (In reply to Jenn)
>
> More on the situation...
>
> http://us.cnn.com/2004/US/10/21/yosemite.hikers/index.html

CNN reporting :"An emergency worker assists in the rescue of a hiker stranded on the face of El Capitan."

Were the hikers using a map from Trail Magazine?
Liathac 22 Oct 2004
In reply to kevin stephens: Ooh any email that slags off trail gets my vote, the worst case of lazy photo jounalism culled from library pictures for people who cant be bothered to read that I have ever witnessed, subscribers should be forced to read "Mountaineering in Scotland" to bring them back to life
OP Jenn 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Moacs:

Glad to hear you are safe! It seems so early in the year for these storms.

I was just reading Steph Davies' account of climbing Free Rider in the October OTE. I remember she mentioned climbing in the valley around Halloween.
OP Jenn 22 Oct 2004
In reply to kevin stephens:

That reporter must know so much about climbing
 Michael Ryan 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:
> (In reply to John Lisle)
>
> Glad to hear you are safe! It seems so early in the year for these storms.

Not at all. It varys from year to year. I've been snowed on in June and August in the same year in the Sierra.

Storms often hit in September, then you go back to long spelss of warm sunny weather sometimes lasting until December.

This isn't the first time YOSAR have had to bring down dead bodies from El Cap in October.

Mick
 Moacs 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:

The "Staying Alive" briefing that I mentioned includes this:

"...On Oct 11 1983 a climber on El Cap collapsed from heat exhaustion. On Oct 11 1984 a party on Washington Column was immobilised by hypothermia..."

What is it that makes us read, agree, but not ACT?

We were kept off the Nose by the crowds, but we'd not packed more than lightweight rain protection.

I think October is a great time to visit the valley. 3 years ago I was there a week later and had 14 days of pure blue...this time it was only 10. You get lulled.

I remember a friend caught in the 1989 San Francisco earthquake who recounted turning on his radio and listening to the announcer ask everyone to turn off their gas at the main. He sat there thinking "yes. That's right; everyone should do that" but didn't connect it to mean HIM. Only when the commentator said "that means YOU, sat in your living room listening" did he connect and go and find the stopcock.

Most mistakes have been made before...we just don't take them on board.

To be honest, I'm pretty shaken by it all.

John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...