UKC

WARNING lawrencefeild tmrw - University Club climb = choas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 harry leaver 22 Sep 2023

Unfortunately it is that time of the year…

Thousands of students arrived in Sheffield this weekend and on Saturday (Tomorrow) the University of Sheffield Mountaineering (Climbing) Club are having our first meet at Lawrencefeild.

Last year we had hundreds turn up and we set up bottom ropes and led novices up various climbs. Our subsequent meets see a drop of in attendance but we expect Lawrencefeild to be very busy tomorrow and I’m writing this message to try and let people know.

Although we will do our best to be accommodating to other climbers, due to the number of people that turn up a certain monopolisation is difficult to avoid.

May this post serve as a warning and apology to anyone hoping to go to Lawrencefeild tomorrow. If you know anyone going maybe let them know…

peppermill 22 Sep 2023
In reply to harry leaver:

Ignore any moaners before they even start dude.

Lawrencefield was used for freshers climbs 15 years ago when I was at university in Sheffield (Glory days of the High Peak Club....), and had been for many years before that as it's ideal with the separate roadside bay for bottom ropes.

Hope you have a great day!

Post edited at 18:41
 Offwidth 22 Sep 2023
In reply to peppermill:

I've been there twice when SU were on their annual freshers meet. Exemplary behaviour was demonstrated both times.

ExiledScot 22 Sep 2023

Have fun climbing, but make use of your time at university and learn to spell field. 

OP harry leaver 22 Sep 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

Isn’t university about climbing…?

Post edited at 18:49
Message Removed 22 Sep 2023
Reason: Needlessly antagonistic
 Offwidth 22 Sep 2023

In reply to Joel Heard:

A good proportion of physical science students always had poor spelling and so did  some Profs in the area!

As for SU at Lawrencefield, as I indicated above, I was impressed with them in past years despite witnessing poor practice from a small minority of other groups, too often run by trained instructors (the latest concerns on instructors were raised by Gary today: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/horse-thief_and_moss_rake_lower... ).

I'd say in the 25 years I've been involved with, or climbing next to, student groups, the average in safety practice and sustainable practice has improved significantly, despite increses in numbers. This maybe is partly down to the BMC running excellent student seminars.

Louis Barrass 22 Sep 2023

In reply to Joel Heard:

Go away silly fresher

Rob Parsons 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> A good proportion of physical science students always had poor spelling ...

F-ucking weird comment.

Graham Booth 22 Sep 2023

In reply to Joel Heard:

That’s unnecessary.

In reply to Joel Heard:

What is the world coming to!? It's clearly spelt Lwecanerilfed

peppermill 23 Sep 2023

In reply to Joel Heard:

I'm fairly sure Surface Tension, Billy Whizz, Great Peter etc will be safe from grubby trainers and top-ropes on a fresher's climb....

tew 23 Sep 2023
In reply to peppermill:

Thanks for making me realise that I was a fresher 18 years ago...

wilkie14c 23 Sep 2023

My daughter started Sheff uni last weekend, she’ll not be climbing though, she’s seen the state of my fingernails!

Wishing you all some decent weather, lots of fun and a safe day out. Big up for posting 👍

hang_about 23 Sep 2023

Walked the dog this afternoon  at lawrencefield. Heaving with freshers. All having fun in the afternoon sun, no litter or banging music. Seemed just what a freshers meet should be.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...