UKC

What do you guys do in the Winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 24 Oct 2020

I'm Maltese, in the winter we'd go climbing even at 10 pm , get some portable floodlights and go, if it's raining we'd climb in a cave. 

Here with covid and climbing gyms shutting down I'm struggling. How practical is it to boulder during the winter, with rain and cold? I've never really boulderd so not sure what the experience is like and dont want to spend money on mat and then use it twice. 

Despreate for some consistent climbing.

ianstevens 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Do exactly that - floodlights, caves, and lots of jackets. Bouldering only for most of that however! Depends quite a bit on where you are based for logisitcs/good venues. 

wintertree 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I’ve done lead climbing in Northumberland in November, as the wind roars in to the crag over snow covered moors.

Its an odd thing - no sensation at all from my fingertips so I have to look at each one to judge how well it’s engaged with the rock before loading weight on to it. 

You can generally find a crag that’s protected from the wind and light rain with some local knowledge.  Beware that land owners will be nervous of erratic floodlight movement at night, and if they’re farmers they may set out with the assumption you’re thieving or poaching. 

mrphilipoldham 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I’ve climbed trad throughout the winter for the last four years. Big coats and a penchant for suffering gets you through. That said, if you know the right spots you can climb in a t-shirt and be pleasantly comfortable some days!  

slab_happy 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

> How practical is it to boulder during the winter, with rain and cold?

> Despreate for some consistent climbing.

It's absolutely practical, but it's not going to be consistent!

Bouldering usually works better than route-climbing when it's really cold because you can do a problem then get your gloves back on quickly, rather than having your hands slowly go numb during a route. And you're not standing still belaying someone else.

The British weather means that a lot of the time climbing will be impossible because it's raining, which is why "consistent" isn't an option here.

But if you're able to nip out when it's dry, you can have some great days -- on gritstone in particular, you get the best conditions when it's cold but dry.

Post edited at 11:04
 Offwidth 24 Oct 2020
In reply to slab_happy:

The effect of shelter can be amazing. I remember walking in to Higgar South bouldering, one sunny January day, feeling freezing in cold north winds, despite wearing my thicker down jacket, fleece top and thermal and thinking maybe I should be somewhere else like Rivelin. On arrival I soon had to strip down on top to just my thermal as it was lovely in the sun and the friction was of course flatteringly high.

Sam Beaton 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Climbing walls are not shutting (yet)

deacondeacon 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Just get outside with jackets and floodlights. Bouldering, trad and sport is all possible in the cold, dark winter. You just need to be keen 😉

Some of my most memorable climbing has been floodlit snowy headpointing

tjdodd 24 Oct 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Its amazing how warm a sunny, still (or sheltered) day can be even when the temperature is low.  I've been out in a t-shirt on days in January/February.

To the OP.  Depending on where you live and access to climbing areas you should be able to get out quite a bit.  As said its about picking your moment as conditions will be even more inconsistent than the UK summer.  I have had some great night time bouldering sessions the past few weeks.  I'm lucky as only 4 miles from some great bouldering.  If conditions turn out rubbish I can sack it off with no worries.

I have found the weather forecasts have been pretty rubbish the past few weeks.  I've planned to go bouldering after work a few times as the metoffice has been saying nice weather even a couple of hours before I will go.  But then it is raining outside.  I've also had the opposite and go out when the forecast was for rain.  If you have to travel any distance take some walking boots and go for a walk if conditions turn out rubbish.  And look for sheltered overhanging spots.  I had a great evening a couple of weeks ago and completed a problem I had been working for a while as the rain poured down a few metres away.

If we get a proper winter then think about trying some simple grade 1/2 winter climbs if you have never winter climbed before.  Its a different experience and soloing up a grade 1/2 neve gully for the first time is pretty exhilarating.  Means more investment in kit though but its worth the investment as you will get addicted.

Offwidth 24 Oct 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Or just go winter walking maybe. The hills and mountains transform in winter.

The animated rainfall radar really comes into its own in the colder months... you can know you have 3 hours window to sneak in some bouldering.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile

C Witter 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

You can still get out, but you have to be keen. Mix and match according to conditions and what you have available. Trad can still happen, but tends to move to down to the valley crags and you may find it best to lower expectations and operate within your comfort level. Although... grit headpointing season is upon us, apparently! Sport climbing still works - something steep keeps the rain off, and you're moving fast. Bouldering is good for quick hits and keeping moving when it's cold; after rain showers some boulders will be the quickest things to dry because they don't take seepage. If you have a car and bouldering nearby, I'd get a mat - it's worth it if you actually enjoy bouldering. For me, bouldering is usually plugging gaps when there's no one to climb with, but it's also great for getting a fair bit done despite short daylight hours.

Then... when it's really damp for long periods... with covid making regular climbing wall sessions less tenable, running and hill walking can keep you sane.

Trevers 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

South facing crags on a clear, sunny day can be amazing suntrap and really heat the air around them, especially if there isn't much of a breeze. I've climbed in t-shirts in December through to February despite a heavy overnight frost.

Michael Gordon 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Go winter climbing

oldie 24 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Lots of good advice above. From your profile you're not in the SW but places like Swanage can often be very pleasant.....a north wind can still mean the south facing cliffs are really pleasant (I've climbed in swimming trunks over Christmas there). Mind you in stormy weather with high seas bashing the  rock  the reverse can also be true!

Michael Hood 25 Oct 2020
In reply to oldie:

The reverse being what? Swimming in climbing gear 😁

jassaelle 25 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

we constantly check the weather forecast for dry days then show up on the one dry weekend for a month to find the crag and rocks still wet and seeping with disappointment - but climb it any way and then question our weekend decisions by saying to each other 'why the f*ck are we doing this?' half way up a slippery muddy climb with red fingers and then f*ck off to the pub at 3pm.

In reply to jassaelle:

> we constantly check the weather forecast for dry days then show up on the one dry weekend for a month to find the crag and rocks still wet and seeping with disappointment - but climb it any way and then question our weekend decisions by saying to each other 'why the f*ck are we doing this?' half way up a slippery muddy climb with red fingers and then f*ck off to the pub at 3pm.

Exactly this, except we commit ourselves on a scary, vegetated, chossy, rarely-climbed mountain route because we want to "keep a few grades in hand and move fast to stay warm". We then struggle up it spending ages on each pitch cleaning freezing mud off the holds and out of gear placements while the second shivers on an uncomfortable stance. We top out in darkness and walk off apologising to each other for suggesting the route while deciding to go to Tremadog next time. Inexplicably by the time we've got back to the car park we're already talking about the other long and neglected mountain "classics" we'd like to do.

Post edited at 13:45
 mutt 25 Oct 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

As Oldie suggests the south coast is your best bet.  with a northerly or southerly and clear skies Swanage is at its best. Portland can also be a very good venue on a clear day with easterly or westerly winds. So being careful with your venue selection you can climb somewhere when the sun is shining all through the winter. Portland has some bouldering but the sport climbing is better. Swanage has some sport climbing but the Trad is better (at least at the grades I can climb).

In reply to glenn0010:

... if it were an option; I'd make like a bear... hibernation from mid-November to mid March...

Post edited at 21:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...