UKC

Find Crag Map not filtering by Route Type?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 YourNameHere 19 Sep 2018

Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but if I select a route type and my current location and a distance, the crags returned include all the crags within that distance, not just those that have climbing of the type selected.

Id be happy to get stuck in to the code, other than that it's PHP!

(Apologies if this is not the right forum...)

Pineappledog 20 Sep 2018
In reply to YourNameHere:

I just threw in a search for sport within 50 miles of me and it seemed to work as intended. Several trad and boulder only venues I know of in that range didn't show up. One thing to note is that if you search for, as an example, trad, it will show any crag with a trad route even if it is a sport crag with 117 sport routes but 1 trad route also.

What search were you using that brought up completely wrong crags? I can't seem to replicate it.

SDM 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Pineappledog:

> One thing to note is that if you search for, as an example, trad, it will show any crag with a trad route even if it is a sport crag with 117 sport routes but 1 trad route also. 

It would be great if this could be changed. If I'm searching for a bouldering crag, it's because I want to spend the day bouldering. If I'm searching for a trad crag, I probably want to spend the day climbing trad routes. I probably don't want to spend the day climbing sport routes, having carried a trad rack in for the one traditionally protected crack at a sport crag.

It would be far better if we had the option to search for crags with a minimum of x boulder problems or y trad routes etc. Please UKC? 

Without this, searching for crags by route type is pretty much pointless.

OP YourNameHere 20 Sep 2018

> What search were you using that brought up completely wrong crags? I can't seem to replicate it.

I was searching for sport in the SE, and it was returning everything, including Southern Sandstone crags, which are all strictly top-rope & bouldering only (depending on the crag).

Who maintains the database?

Pineappledog 21 Sep 2018

I would strongly imagine that top rope sandstone is defined as sport climbing within the database, which would be a much more complicated thing to address. Without seeing their database it would be essentially making assumptions but here is how I would design a solution to improve the search. It is also worth considering that they may not be adding more "complex" search functions if their database is already taking a beating from basic searches.

Advanced search features

Climbing type - enum of climbing types

Number of routes - varchar

grade min - enum of grades 

grade max - enum of grades

Assuming you selected crags with 30 routes between f6a min and f6c max, it would be very easy to create a select statement that would pull crags with this requirement. This is making some wild assumptions that each crag entity is a foreign key to sport climbing and each route is a record within the crag table with a grade attribute. 

It is an interesting idea and it might also broaden the horizons of the actor if they stumble across that trad crag with 150 trad lines but 15 sport routes that are all in the grade range you are looking for.

You never know if Alan James reads this thread you might get your wish!

edit: typo

Post edited at 00:44
OP YourNameHere 21 Sep 2018

> I would strongly imagine that top rope sandstone is defined as sport climbing within the database

Ah, my bad - new to the site, and hadn't noticed that there's no distinction between top-rope and lead. That explains the issue, but it's a real shame, as while it's easy to know that no Southern Sandstone climb has lead, it makes it hard to know what sort of climbing is available elsewhere without consulting a guide book, which somewhat defeats the purpose.

I'm sure if some features to catalog more data on the climbs was added, the community would quickly muck in to provide it.

More could also be done with the available data in terms of a summary of number of climbs by type and grade on the overview page.

Hi,  I think this problem is strictly related to Southern Sandstone tbh. A lot of the top rope only climbs are given a Sport grades since a Trad grade doesn't apply. We would need to create a separate grading system just for top ropes to fix this which will be a lot of work for a handful of crags.

Hi, your assumptions are correct regarding the grade type. A route search with more defined parameters would definitely be better than the current one but still wouldn't help in this very specific case with the top ropes being given Sport grades.

We've had an advanced search on the Rockfax database for years but never implemented it on UKC (https://www.rockfax.com/databases/expert.html) I'll add it to the ToDo list.

OP YourNameHere 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> I think this problem is strictly related to Southern Sandstone tbh

Is absolutely every other crag in the DB that is sport lead-only? If so, problem solved; otherwise, the need to distinguish top-rop (bottom-rope for the pedantic Mountain Training crew!) and lead still exists.

Post edited at 00:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...